Please Take Note (♪):
1) If you plan to arrive at Bald Mountain Campground before 1:00PM
, you will be charged 1/2 of our special discounted rate of $23.85/day or $11.93.
2) The special discounted rate offered by Bald Mountain Campground includes hookup for water and electricity
whether you use it or not
. There are no exceptions or reduced rate if you don't hookup.
This is Bald Mountain's Policy. See
Remember that BMC's daily rate with Water and Electricity is $27.00 not including the 6% Vermont tax.
West River Westies special rate of $23.85 has remained the same for the past 10 years and includes the Vermont tax.
LOCAL VERMONT LINKS
Townshend State Park, Townshend, VT
The Outlet Center, Brattleboro
Horses - Winchester Stables, Newfane
Antiques - The Copper Penny, Williamsville
The Original Newfane Flea Market, Inc.
Location VT Route 30, Newfane
Mount Snow Area
Train Rides - White River Junction
River Cruises, CT River, Brattleboro
River Cruises, CT River, Brattleboro
Shopping - Gifts, stuffed toys - Big Black Bear Shop, Townshend
Big Black Bear Shop
Baskets & Gifts - Basketville, Putney
Harmonyville Store, Harmonyville
1412 VT Rte 30, Townshend, VT
Crowley, Cabot, Grafton Cheese & others. Also Bison Meat
General Area & other listed attractions
VW Parts & Service
John Car Corner, Route
John's Car Corners, Westminister
John Hamil also a LiMBO member
Self Guided Tours of Southern Vermont
Instead of the usual Guided Caravan Tour of the area on Saturday afternoon,
there will be information and maps of several self-guided tours to do on your
own and at your own leisure. See if you can find the following local Landmarks?
1. Two classic Stone Arch Bridges within one mile of BMC.
2. The most photographed Court House in New England.
3. A restored Railroad Station from the now defunct Brattleboro And Whitehall
4. Bridge piers from the Brattleboro and Whitehall RR where it crossed the West
River in two places.
5. A restored building that once housed the Windham County Jail and the Newfane
Inn. Hint: Only one part of the building survives and is now the Headquarters
of the Windham County Sheriffs Dept.
6. The remains of a now defunct Quarry on the East side of the West River. You
can still see the remains of the old quarry equipment. Hint: There are two bridge
piers that supported a bridge with a spur from the Brattleboro & Whitehall RR
to the Quarry.
7. The most photographed Church in New England.
8. Two famous covered bridges. One, within one mile of BMC is only open to pedestrian
traffic, the for both pedestrians and vehicles. One is the longest, the other
the oldest. Which is which?
9. A classic iron truss bridge over the West River. Now closed to all traffic.
10. The former home of Rudyard Kipling (You remember he wrote the Jungle Book
and other famous literary works). It's design and construction is patterned
after a Mississippi River Steam Boat. A must see but not open to the public.
11. In Brookline, find an old brick building with only one wall!. (How can a
building be enclosed with only one wall?) Guess what it was used for?
12. Find two small villages in Windham County. One formerly called "Tin Pot"
and very close to BMC. What is this village named today? The other called called
"Goose City" and why?
13. On a more modern note. Visit a famous Cheese factory known for its chedders.
Hint: The factory carries the same name as the town in which it is located.
14. Don't forget the fabulous Newfane Flea Market on Sunday. Just
down the road on Route 30.
15. And finally, visit John's Car Corner (easy to find in Westminister, VT on
Route 5). John Hamil, owner and LiMBO member is an expert on all types of VW's
and in addition has an extensive collection of Volkswagen artifacts and memorabilia
and a great inventory of rare and hard to find VW parts. Don't miss this one!
Mark your calender now for
Camping at Bald Mountain
Same place - Bald Mountain Campground
Same time - July 13-15, 2018
now has it own web site.
DIRECTIONS TO BALD MOUNTAIN CAMPGROUND
TOPOGRAPHIC MAP OF BALD MOUNTAIN
GPS INFO AND MAPS
Call bald mountain campground To reserve your site at 1-802-365-7510
You can visit local Flea Markets, Antique Shops, Factory Outlets, Auctions,
visit covered bridges or tour country roads where no Westy may have ever been
before. There is also swimming, boating & fishing at the nearby Townshend Dam
Recreation Area; hiking trails to Bald Mountain at the Townshend State Forest
Park; tubing on the West River, go biking on miles of dirt roads or just lounge
and relax at the campground.
Also, new a few years ago
was a new factory
and store for the Grafton Cheese Factory. It is about 500 yards on the left
of Route 30 as you come down Cedar St from Route 9 (Western Ave) just outside
River Bend Farm Market, Route 30, Townshend, VT. Fresh meat, poultry & seafood,
groceries, produce, Mobil Gas, 24 Hour ATM and Vermont Licensed Liquor Outlet.
Lawrence's Smoke Shop, Route 30, Townshend, next to the River Bend Market. Smoked
meat products, thick sliced Bacon, Maple cured Hams and Sausages. Homemade Fudge,
Local Crafts & Gifts.
Sam's Outdoor Outfitters: 74 Main St, Brattleboro. Camping & Hiking Supplies,
Hunting & Fishing Supplies, Sporting Goods, Footwear and Clothing.
Dutton's Farm Stand: Route 30, just south of Newfane. Locally produced Fruits
& Vegetables. Pick our own Strawberries at Dutton's Berry Stand, just north
of Newfane on Route 30. on your right.
Places to Eat.
Rick's Tavern: Route 30, just south of Newfane. Daily Lunch & Dinner Specials,
Vermont Microbrews, Live Music Thursdays & Saturday nights.
The Townshend Dam Diner: Route 30 north after the Townshend Corp of Engineers
The Townshend Dam Diner on Facebook