For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: A lesson Learned - starting problem  (Read 2927 times)

cc6344454

• Administrator
  • BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
A lesson Learned - starting problem
« on: April 30, 2005, 11:31:28 PM »
Since October I haven't been able to start my '84 Westy. The engine would spin but no fuel flow. It drove me crazy. I thought it was the ECU since I checked just about everything else. <br>In a last ditch effort, mostly for my conscience, I decided to do everything I can before I bring it to my local mechanic.  I didn't think I'd fix it, I just wanted a clear conscience. So, the last time I was working on it I went through it with my voltmeter and Bentley book, determined to check my readings to the books spec's. I did that, and with my daughters help turning it over I started measuring. Goofy readings, nothing made sense. I even did obvious measurements, alternator to ground, still nothing made sense. So, today, the voice of my mechanic ringed in my ears when I told him about my problem, "check the connections at the starter". He told me that back when I first had problems. When I told him I had the engine completely rebuilt a year and a half ago, we both thought it seemed unlikely. Even in my snooping around back then I did a visual on it and there was no obvious junk on it, everything looked clean. But to clear my conscience, I put her on jack stands and went to it. Nothing looked bad, a little chalky, but that was about it. So, I bought some good wire brushes and said to myself, I'm here, I might as well make everything as clean as I can. So I polished everything. <br>To my surprise, I clicked on the starter, and boom, it started on about the third revolution, and, so far, has started ever since. Sounds and runs great too.<br>Ahh, the life of a Westy owner. Go figure!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cc6344454 »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: A lesson Learned - starting problem
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:44:29 AM »
hay , phil the first rule on the repair list on something electtical probelm : <br><br> 1 st  : everything clean and tight, <br> 2 nd : is battery realy at 12v <br> 3 rd  : go to bentley , if bentley can't fix it goto               samba,limbo,westfiala site and ask .<br> 4 th  : bring it to a repair shop , than curse your self out for not tightening the ground strap at the trans.<br><br>sorry ,phil i just had to you know ,lol  :) mark (mlf)<br><br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

cc6344454

• Administrator
  • BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Re: A lesson Learned - starting problem
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 02:21:37 PM »
The lesson I learned here is no-matter how it looks, or how short a time since it was last done, CLEAN and make sure electrical and ground connections are tight. <br>
  • Visual check don't cut it.<br>
  • Tapping it don't cut it<br>
  • Wiggeling don't cut it.<br>
<br>Taking it apart, cleaning and polishing ALL surfaces and re-tightening it is the ONLY thing that does cut it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cc6344454 »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.