For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Festoon lights  (Read 5391 times)

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Festoon lights
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »
I recently had my drivers overhead cabin light strip my battery in my 88 Westy, and slightly melt the plastic lens. For some time, I have been wanting more efficient lighting to replace the stock interior lights. I have added two LED bar- strip lights on either side of the cabin lamp over the stove. They work well. but, it still left a lamp over the stove that can serve as an electric heater, as it pulls so much current. This week I replaced the three Festoon bulbs in the cabin lamp over the stove with high output LED substitutes. Wow, they are great! At one watt each, they draw only a fraction of the originals, and give no heat. The light is typical LED cool white, and very bright. I got them at LEDLight.com
Part number 38435 Try them, you will not be disappointed.
Next, I am picking out a smaller unit for the drivers lamp.

Best,
Guy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »
Interesting.. nice suggestion.. I like the idea and the web site.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »
I have a flourescent light in the cabin (stock on Westy Weekender)
Since it needs repair, perhaps a LED strip inside this fixture is the way to go.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:54 AM »
The led light strip is great, but the one I posted is 3 feet long and better suited to be used by it's self. The festoon lights link is for bulbs that fit the incandescent type for interior lamp housing that have 3 torpedo shaped bulbs. I do not know of any drop in bulbs for your unit without adapting a bulb holder. A creative look at you housing should allow an adaptation. I would make sure the choice is for several high power Leds on the order of 1/2 watt or so. Look for LED's that already have internal resistors, and are made for 12 volts. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
I had trouble with the lights in my old Eurovan and I went over to the local RV store.  They had some used light fixtures from some Coleman campers that I was able to mount in the place of the originals.  Best part was, they had this plug on the side that you could plug in Coleman accessories, like a fan or another light. I bought a separate light that had mounts on it to hook to the bar that holds the pop top up.  Then I had upstairs lights too.  They were cheap, about 10 bucks each used.  Not LED's but an alternative to the stock lights.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Red Baron

Post Subject
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
Yes, I agree, that LED's, now matter what the application, is an interesting subject. The LED (Light Emitting Diode) has been around now for some time but it's applications are ever growing. In our kitchen alone there is a constant glow of dull green and red lights. Everything from the refrigerator, stove, microwave oven, dishwasher, coffeemaker and wall telephone to the computer, router and TV remote in the next room, not to mention LED indicators on cellphone and Dustbuster battery chargers. All telling us that they're on and using up some energy!

I liked the idea of replacing the VW Vanagon OEM incandescent type 211s with the new Festoon LEDs. I ordered the replacement LED for the 211 OEM bulb that fits in the fixture in the roof panel over the drivers seat from LEDLight.com. Took the fixture out, removed the bulb, cleaned some 22 years of moths and bugs out of the lens, cleaned all contacts and popped in the new Festoon 4 SMT LED Light. Switched on---------nothing but a dull amber glow!

AH SO, something must be wrong? Wrong P/N, Voltage to low to excite LEDs? No, I remembered that LEDs will not work unless the polarity is connected correctly. IE: The anode (+) and cathode (-) of the LED(s) must match the VDC source. I then looked closely at the second Festoon LED and sure enough on the back side of the mini circuit board were a (+) at one end and a (-) at the other end. They're pretty small, like less than 1mm and partially hidden under the end caps, but nevertheless they're there.

Just reverse the Festoon and you'll have illumination at least 10 times more than the OEM bulb. Caution: Don't leave the current on too long if the LED's show amber as over heating by the reverse current will damage them.

Now for the Tom Edison of Vanagon Electronics who started all this stuff, how 'bout a P/N for the small (1.125") OEM bulb in the fixture over the passenger side glove box?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.