For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 78 2.0L air cooled fuel pump question  (Read 6372 times)

ccravens

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
78 2.0L air cooled fuel pump question
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »
My wife and I just bought a 1978 Westy Camper - 2.0 liter pancake. The bus was originally fuel injected but was converted at some point to dual webbers. The fuel line from the fuel pump goes to what looks like is a homemade fuel regulator valve then to a y adapter and then a seperate fuel line to each carb. I have been told that the fuel injected fuel pumps put out more fuel pressure and that the "regulator: was put inline to reduce the fuel pressure to the carbs. #1) Is this a true statement and #2) can I replace the fuel punp with a pump from a carb model...and if so what fuel pump should I look for? When you start the bus the right carb dumps fuel into the motor...I was thinking of taking the dual carbs off and running 1 progressive instead. The previous owner said it is too difficult to keeps the dual carbs syncro'd - any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ccravens »

jereandjess

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
Our 78 came to us with dual Weber 40's, which also came with the regulator you describe.  It has a little dial on the top of it?  

Since then, we have taken the carbs off and pieced together the fuel injection system to take it back to stock.

It runs so much better and starts right up, no more pumping the gas pedal or having to hold it at a higher RPM to get it warmed up.

Short answers for you:

#1 TRUE
#2 not sure someone else will have to help you.

Where are you located?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by jereandjess »
77 Sage Green Westfalia
78 Blue/White Landmark Camper Bus
69 Bug
86 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender

ccravens

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this...we live in Tulsa Oklahoma. After reading your reply I started thinking about replacing the carbs with a FI setup. There are several on TheSamba.com and are very affordable. Might consider going to FI instead of replacing the carbs....not sure what "complete" FI system means to some people (that are selling FI stuff) - I don't know enough about the pieces/parts that are required.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ccravens »

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »
i also have heard that there are F.I. setups from later model audis that will work as well.though i am not the guy for that , you might as well research it some to see if it is feasible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:57:49 AM »
The fuel injection pumps put out at least 35 PSI and are WAY too powerful  for any  carb system I don't believe there is any pressure regulator that will drop that kind of pressure down to the 3-5 PSI you need for carbs.  

There are electric universal low pressure pumps available for carb set ups.    If you had a pre 75 motor, you could put a mechanical pump on the engine, but after the introduction of Fuel Injection, VW stopped making the engine case opening for the mechanical fuel pump.  

My advice... Hit the swap meets and gather the parts to return the injection system back to operation.  Nothing like a good running fuel injection system.   The VW injection system on the buses are so simple, the only special tools needed to repair the system is a muti-meter and a test light.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
the only tools needed to repair a fuel injection system is a multi meter and a test light, and a fat wallet, well maybe pleasantly plump would suffice
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
fuel Injection/or what?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
I just got back from a nearly flawless trip from Pa. [Granny's] while driving a '78 Westfalia at 70 MPH.  For those who know my way, one of those are DRIVING FAST.  Hey, these systems are simple, reliable, and economical.  If one thinks they should have a breakdown kit, a most complete one can fit in a small package and cost little from a VW show.  It's been over 40 years with VW and fuel injection-Robert Bosch invented it during WW2.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.