For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: The Gnome DeLox's Hunt for the Pirates of Pachaug Encampment  (Read 3626 times)

Red Baron

Early this Memorial Day Weekend Sunday the Gnome DeLox started out to hunt out the secret campsite of the Pirates of Pachaug rumored to be somewhere in the Pachaug State Forest in Eastern Connecticut. After encountering severe rain and thunderstorms into the search mission, we arrived at Pachaug at 1000 hours and did a thourgh search of the campsites, reveling no evidence that the notorious Pirates had their encampment here. I even dismounted my new Electric Steed from the Westy and searched the Frog Hollow Horse Area----nothing there but horses and more horses and lots of smelly stuff, but not a sniff of the Pirates.

I did encounter the Park Supervisor, who was most helpfull. Yes, he knew very well of the so-called Pirates and their colorful ships ( aka buses ) as they had been there many times in the past. I mentioned to him that they might have gone to Salt Rock State Park and in a wink of your eye he gave us directions to Salt Rock. Back roads over Rt. 138 to Rt. 97 to Baltic and Salt Rock and off we went in search of the Pirates. On Rt 138 just before the junction of 97 we encounted an extermely large motorcycle event of the New London Motorcycle Club. Hey, could the Pirates might be in there? Should I mount my Electric Steed and have a look? No, on second thought, I'll pass as these guy's wouldn't know a Westy with an electric bike from a Hog!

So on to Salt Rock. Now, as CT State Parks go, this one was pretty well filled up and not as rustic as Pachaug, but passable. However, no sign or evidence of the notorious Pachaug Pirates being there.

OK, search mission now terminated and it's lunch time and on to one of our favorite spots. Sorry, we couldn't share the fruit salad with you.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:37:36 AM by Red Baron »

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
The Hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
Sorry oh great and powerful Gnome of the Locks. We never heard from you, Tracey arrived at Pachuag Thursday morning too find all sites taken. Chris went off to Salt Rock allso to find all camp sites taken. So Tracey being the Pirate she is says lets camp at my log cabin on Long pond which we did. She put on a great campout for the last minute. A good time was had by all, no one died but a few thought they did. But thats another story, later The Hole in the Woods Gang
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

canuckev

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
The Red Baron's Theme Song
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
Could it be<http>?

Ye Old Canadian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by canuckev »

canuckev

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
URL didn't work.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »
It's "The Wanderer" by Dion and is on You Tube.

Ye Even Older Canadian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by canuckev »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.