For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: awning  (Read 6383 times)

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
awning
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »
I just mounted a Fiamma 45i 10 foot awning on my 77... But the instructions were shoddy at best. Has anyone done this before? I bought the bay window brackets from GoWesty, (which look to me like a vanagon bracket they just notched for the slider) I got them mounted onto the bus, and at that noted that they dont really conform tot he shape of the rounder bus rain gutters... at that they kinda left a mark on the bus... anyways then I hung the awning caseon the brackets and (like the instrictions said) drilled a hole through the case and bracket to place a small bolt in place. I tightended it down then thats it...? Anyone else do this before? Also, where are the best places to put the brackets on the bus? I have one on the b pillar, just forward of the slider, and one on the d pillar, between the back of the window and the air intake.

I didnt mount the brackets on the side of the bus for the feet, because I just dont think that they work the way theyre intended... Are they worth using?

Lastly, the awning came with three plastic "end caps" where do these darn things go?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by obnoxiousblue »

The Blue Max

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
the awning will def. not fit the rain gutter straight...there will be some "bend".

As far as the legs not mounting to the bus...many of us don't mount them.  Nevin does, I think...but Brad and I, among others have had ours take off like a kite on a windy day, and rip, bend, damage and ruin the awning.  If you do not mount the legs to the body, then you have to use weights of some sort, or stakes (well not on asphalt)...

Brad is actually contemplating mounting brackets to the Blue Max so if we want to use them we can.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by The Blue Max »

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:04:34 PM »
Right Andrea, I was thinking about mounting them, just so theyre there if I want them... But the awning came with stakes to hold it down, so I think Ill use it more in the long run without them.

Thanks Andrea :-)

Red Baron

Fiamma Awning
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:46 AM »
Just out of curiosity and it has nothing to do with the Fiamma awning, but just how do you pack all those 8 chairs, the table and trash barrel into your bay westy?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:06:02 AM »
:D

Im just THAT good... No, kidding. I had just gotten the bus back after some hefty engine work and was anxious to get some use out of it, and my new awning. So what you cant see, is the deck behind the camera which donated the chairs, and the garbage can, as well as the ambulance garage from which we snatched the table.

Bradleyvw

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
Mike, to get around the natural curve of the bus,( Vanagon in my case) I put spacer washers between the bracket and the awning on the front and the back brackets. This straightened it out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bradleyvw »

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
mounted the cleats to the bus today, figured it would be better to have them and not need them, than to regret never mounting them if I decide one night to use them.

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
I have not mounted the awning brackets yet either. The angle looks pretty extreme.  But, I agree, without them you are vulnerable to wind. I am thinking of mounting them to plywood 1' x 2' pieces and driving the two RH wheels on them to hold them down. Then they would be secure to the ground.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

Red Baron

Post Subject
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
No matter how you fasten your awning down, old Mother West Wind will find a way to bring it down!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

Bradleyvw

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
Great pic. Nevin.  I missed that storm but I've lost my awning too.  Maybe I should install my mounting brackets.  Better late than never.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bradleyvw »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.