For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 1979 Westy - seeking a fuel injection guru  (Read 6233 times)

RobertWinters

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
    • http://rwinters.com
1979 Westy - seeking a fuel injection guru
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:59:07 AM »
I have 1979 Westy that's been nicely restored on the outside but which has less than optimal performance. The Bus is originally a California Bus, but my former mechanic made some modifications to the fuel injection system in order to get the Bus on the road and out of his shop. I like to call it Frankinjection. I've had the Bus since 2000 and restored the body in 2008. The Bus and I reside in Cambridge, MA.

The Bus runs OK on level ground with a steady foot on the accelerator, but the fuel efficiency is way down and it's terrible on hills and lacks acceleration. It also lurches a bit when under load. It has a good Boston Bob engine with no apparent problems, but it hasn't been right since the modifications were made. It also can be hard to start after running a while, but that's not so uncommon with a late model Bus.

The original (electronic) distributor was replaced by a mechanical distributor. I believe it has its original (CA) air flow meter and wiring harness. The dual relay has been replaced (don't recall right now if it's for a CA or a Federal Bus), and I'm pretty sure the ECU was replaced. Other changes may also have been made.

Anyway, I'd like to find someone in the Greater Boston area who is a real guru when it comes to getting fuel injection right. I won't take the Bus on the highway or on any long adventures until I get things right.

Robert Winters, Cambridge MA
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RobertWinters »

Red Baron

Westy Fuel Injection Guru
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
You might get in touch with Stan Wohlfarth, a long time LiMBO member who just opened up a new VW Service Shop in Natick, MA. Stan's Classic Service, 135 West Central St., rear, Natick, MA 01760, 508-333-7813. Pictures of his new shop can be found in this thread on the Samba:
http://http://www.thesamba.com:80/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350778
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »
The 'German engineers' have made this system to be diagnosed with 'simple tools and thinking' a long time ago.  It is more simple than one would think, right?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
A little story... My Bay window buses always ran great, in fact I had a fuel injected 79 camper than was actually faster than my 82 GTI Vanagon camper. (1.8L GTI motor installed)  Maybe my wife was holding the 82 back, but driving up and down those hills coming back from the Ben and Jerrys show years ago, she complained she couldn't keep up with me in the 79 and her in the 82.  I was loaded with DJ equipment and gear.  She had 3 kids and my sister in the 82.  

If you have the Bentley book, a muti-meter and a test light, you have all the tools you need to diagnose  the fuel injection system on your bus.  It really is quite simple to work on.  If a part isn't within spec according to the book, replace it.  Its that simple.   It might be a timing issue as well.  

Contact Stan Wolhfarth at Stan's Classic service.  He's in Wayland and he used to help write those Bentley Books.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Stanagon

• Global Moderator
  • LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
Robert and I have already talked about his bus and he is on my waiting list. There are a couple other cars on the list before him, but hopefully we'll get his bus in soon.

-Stanagon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Stanagon »

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
wont he need an oxygen sensor if hes got a CAL ecu?
I dont think Cal and Fed parts can interchange electrically.
also get a svda distributor, connect all the original vac hoses,
most likely the timing is way off , if the mech didnt know the mechanical or centrifugal advance distributor is 90 degrees off.
he prolly had it set to something like 12 idle advance to get the 40 total advance a svda would get, but thats wrong, cus the centrifugal should be 7.5 btdc with total 28 advance, ...whatever im just spouting off now..Stan will fix you up.

Also this site is a must.
http://www.ratwell.com/
Look at the F.I. section

Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

vetterdog

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
I just went through a whole bunch of headaches because my 79 camper was a hard starter after it was run foir a while, and wouldn't idle thereafter. Best thing I did was change the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure your machanic checks that out for you. I know everyone seems to repeat the old line "they RARELY go bad".... but replacing mine made a huge improvement. Good luck!  -Dave
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vetterdog »

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »
Quote from: "Stanagon"
Robert and I have already talked about his bus and he is on my waiting list. There are a couple other cars on the list before him, but hopefully we'll get his bus in soon.

-Stanagon

so any updates?????
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.