For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: new member-question  (Read 3213 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
new member-question
« on: March 22, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
hi! new member here. i have a question. have an 1984 westy. it had eng. replaced 10k ago by p.o. my mech. says it has an extra o-ring groove at edge of comb. chamber. he says he has never seen this. is this normal? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks,bob
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: new member-question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 06:00:57 AM »
sorry i don't know :-[ but you can ask boston bob . just go to the web links that go to his and ask. just be patient . he takes a bit to answer .good luck

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 02:15:58 PM »
well i decided to go with new heads from boston bob. i will be sending my old heads back to him. he is curious to see my modified heads. i learned that the extra o-ring groove was a mod. that fast german auto offered with their engines. i would like to hear if any more of their customers have had problems with cooolant leak problems. this one didn't make 10k. before it started overheating. thanks for your input and i will post on my freshly done cylinder head reseal job.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:21:07 AM »
I talked to Boston Bob about this and apparently fast german auto thought adding a rubber (viton) O-ring would solve the perceived head gasket problem. According to Bob the stock gasket is not a problem unless the motor is overheated. Unfortunately the O-ring set-up eliminates the metal shim between head and cylinders creating a reduced deck height and associated problems.<br>Bob knows his shiit and he'll set you up right.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:53:20 PM »
thanks for the replies, guys. i had a set of boston bobs heads sent to my mechanic and he is working on it as we speak. i'll keep you posted. bob

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.