For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: correct temp range  (Read 3051 times)

JeffnShawna

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
correct temp range
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »
I recently had 2  out the 3 metal coolant pipes along with the lower thermostat housing replaced on my '86 Vanagon 2.1L, before this work was done my temp guage would run half way on the guage if if went any above half the cooling fan would kick on and it would go back to the original reading, since I had the pipes and the thermo housing replaced it now runs above the low coolant light and the fan don't kick on till it get about 3/4 up the guage? As far as I know the system was bleed correctly and nothing else was changed. Any ideas???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by JeffnShawna »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »
Driving around the temp gauge will hover around the red light.  In traffic it can go up as high as 3/4 and the fan will come on. That sounds about right.

Did you crack open the 13MM headed screw at the top of the radiator?  It looks like a simple screw, but its the bleeder.  After I do cooling system work, I like to drive my vanagon around, find a hill and park facing up and then loosen that bolt.  I usually overfill the reservoir behind the license plate so there is a good supply of coolant for the first few trips around town.  If everything is working right, the air will work its way out.

Another thought as to why the gauge is reading differently. Perhaps the action of changing the t-stat and house caused the connections to the temp gauge sender to make better contact.  Causing the gauge to give a more accurate reading.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

JeffnShawna

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
Thanks Mr Limbo for the reply, I have seen the guage creep up past halfway (low coolant warning light) at highway speeds if the temp sensor is making better contact is this normal? I will try your advice of parking on a hill and opening the bleeder.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by JeffnShawna »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.