For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Temperature creepin' up  (Read 5126 times)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
Temperature creepin' up
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
86 Vanagon:  On the highway, the temp stays somewhat normal, about mid gauge.  Around town, the temp starts to creep up getting to 3/4 gauge and if I didn't get myself out of that situation, I'm afraid it could keep going.

I can hear the fan come on, can't say for sure if it's the 1st or 2nd stage. speed.

I have not done any trouble shooting yet, but any advice someone can give will be appreciated.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »
How fast are you moving in town??  Its not unusual for the temp to rise a bit.  The fan usually kicks in about 3/4.   If you are not hearing the fan, check the relay mounted under the dash. I think it accessible by taking out the instrument cluster and looking to the left just below the windshield.  Its mounted in the bracket all by itself at the bottom of the windshield piller.

I had trouble once in my vanagon's fan running all the time.  The windshield leaked water into that relay.   It rusted and shorted out so it was running all the time.  It might be the opossite for you.  It might be rusted and not working at all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »
Well, moving at 30, but with stop signs.  If I can hold a steady 35 or so, then the temp will sit just above the LED.  I did hear the fan once, but I'm thinking that maybe it was high speed and the low speed was not coming on.

regis101

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
If the radiator is OE, my guess is that it's getting clogged up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by regis101 »

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:08:40 PM »
I have been talking with some people on samba because I am having some of the same issues going on (85, 1.9).  I under the same understanding that the rad needs to be replaced.  I don't know when I'll come up with the extra cash to replace it...but look at the bright side it's getting cool outside and that is a little extra heat :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vanagonjohn »
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

regis101

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:14:12 PM »
Take it out and drain completely.  Weigh it and weigh the new one.

Tell us the difference.  Albeit ~1lb or so for residual fluid.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by regis101 »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:50:04 AM »
Quote from: "Vanagonjr"
Well, moving at 30, but with stop signs.  If I can hold a steady 35 or so, then the temp will sit just above the LED.  I did hear the fan once, but I'm thinking that maybe it was high speed and the low speed was not coming on.

The high speed is quite loud when it runs, you'll know.  

If the high speed is running and you have A/C, you may need a new resistor that it mounted behind the left headlight.   The system is designed so when the resistor fails the high speed comes on when the fan is called for.

How is the temp when climbing a long hill?  Its my experience that Vanagon cooling systems are more than adequate and the temp usually doesn't vary that much even in stop and go traffic.  If everything is working like is supposed to, the temp usually never gets much past the LED.  

If the temp fluctuates quite a bit, I'm starting to agree with some of other guys, might be time for a new radiator.

Maybe try a chemical radiator flush and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:21:45 PM »
Well, when I was at Transporterfest and doing parking ballet per Stan's instructions ; ), I noticed that the low speed fan does come on.  If I can find some time this weekend I try and see at what point on the gauge it does come on.

I thinking it the radiator, but while on the highway, the temp did fairly quick drop at one point, with the temp going to below the LED from above the LED.  Made me think that perhaps the thermostat is not working right?  

John

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.