For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Westfalia's Rear Closet Door  (Read 4743 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Westfalia's Rear Closet Door
« on: December 22, 2006, 01:32:33 PM »
Ever since we have owned our '87 Westfalia, I have been bugged by the extra effort it takes to open the rear closet door and either store or retrieve something. In this Westfalia Werkes Vanagon conversion, in order to open the door, you must first unlock the rear table and set it up in position as the closet door will not open with the table in the stored position.<br>Trying to think of a way to open the door without going to all the work of repositioning the table, I found there is a very simple solution.<br><br>Cut the door about  3/8" above the table top in the stored position after removing the mirror on the back side. On the lower portion, mount a suitable cabinet hinge at the bottom and a 3/4" X 3" strap at the top backside. The strap will keep the lower part closed when the upper door is closed. Cut the mirror to fit the upper door and reinstall. For added appearance and if you have the power tools to do it, slot both sections and install 1/2" gray plastic "T" molding. (Available from Go Westy).<br><br>The upper door can now be opened over the table in its closed position and the lower part of the door drops down for full access to the closet. <br><br>Split Closet Door Closed<br><br><br><br>Split Closet Door, both sections open<br><br><br><br>Split Closet Door open over table in stored position<br><br><br><br>This one of several Westfalia Mods that I will be posting over the forthcoming Winter months. Stay warm and keep busy!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

aviles

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:18:55 PM »
very nice idea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by aviles »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.