For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Syncro Trans in 2WD  (Read 4359 times)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
Syncro Trans in 2WD
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:31 PM »
Anyone on the list here with experience doing this?  It apparently has a different front mount, which I should (hope) have off the Syncro part's van.  Some say to change the front nose cone back to a 2WD one and use the original 2WD mounts.

Anyway, any input appreciated.  

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »
I'm just curious why you would want to do this if you don't have 4WD? There isn't any gearing advantage with the 5speed.  1st is lower than the normal 4 speed and 5th is the same as 4th in the 4 speed.   I've heard horror stories of the syncro trans failures which has put me off on owning one myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
A couple of reasons,

1) My present tranny is on borrowed time (3- 4 gear slider)
2) I already have this tranny out of my (former) Syncro parts van
3) The Syncro trans has a locker diff for better traction and the low range can also be good in certain off-road situations.  
4) Also the high reverse great on Vanagon 2WD trans is lower with this trans.  

No this won't change my van into a "1/2 Syncro", but I got the trans and I hope to improve the real poor off-pavement traction of the van.  I know a Limited Slip is better, but this is what I own and I can't afford  or justify a LSD with tranny re-build.

Wish I had kept the rear gas tank from the syncro to use to add rear weight bias in hopes of trying to approach bay window van performance off road!  

I think a change to 15" tires that you can lower the high tire pressure would help wonders off-road as well - but that's not happening anytime soon.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.