For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Water leak where cyl meets block-- cured, at least for now  (Read 2555 times)

pinetreeporsche

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Water leak where cyl meets block-- cured, at least for now
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »
I just heard George Bossart's sad tail of lifting the heads on his waterboxer (2nd generation) and having the the walls come up above the rings.  I thought I was facing some top-end work for a small leak (refill the overflow tank after every 15 mile run) on my '87 where the wall hit the block, so I listened carefully and decided to stay out, and try Barr's Stop-Leak.  They make several price ranges, with increasing complexity for proper use (the top grade theyclaim is for dead head gasgets-- might work as well or better.).  I chose the next-to-most expensive, a copper color, and followed the instructions carefully. Had to  1)drain the antifreeze/coolant out, 2) use a flush, then 3) another rinse- out.  All involved unclamping the hose up over the spare tire (took the whole pan off for easy access) and pulling it off each time-- watching out for HOT water coming out.  And 4) refilling with the R wheels up on the ramps (slant put lots of uumph on the water coming out!).   Finally 5) refilling with water-only plus the Barrs, and running a good while.  Then draining the system again and refilling with coolant.  Lots of little pissy jobs, over and over, but I have no leak for the present!!  (About 120 K on the van, but previous owner claimed a rebuild at 50K by VW after a waranteed problem-- so maybe only 70K.   I'll add an update if the situation changes, but for now I'm delighted.  --Oh- I use it irregularly, as a 3rd car, except when running a bunch of boy scouts around or going camping-- only a couple of these per year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pinetreeporsche »

aviles

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:46 PM »
congrats count your lucky stars
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by aviles »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.