For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Newbie looking for a mentor  (Read 3354 times)

jdbs3

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Newbie looking for a mentor
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:17:39 AM »
I have a 1990 Vanagon GL that I would like to start working on myself.

My first job is to determine what is causing the constant squeak from the left rear wheel (it seems to go away if I turn to the left). It really sounds bad when I apply the brakes.

While doing this, I also want to install new parking brake cables I purchased.

Is there anyone in the Southern NH (Nashua) area, or close by, who would be interested in being a mentor for me? Tackling a brake job for the first time is not something I want to do without someone looking over my shoulder.

Thanks, Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by jdbs3 »

CBussin86

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
rear squeaky wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
Hi there...

Can try to help here. Is the Van a Syncro? Sounds like it could be a CV joint. They seem to be plaguing us lately. Do you hear a ticking or thumping sound when you drive. The brakes are a good possiblity. We had to replace the front spindle, and full brake job on one of ours already so we have been there.

Welcome to Vanagon ownership :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by CBussin86 »
84 Westy (the Happy Bus)
86 Syncro
86 Westy (currently under construction)
85 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender (Muffin)
85 Westy (we call him "parts")

jdbs3

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
No, the Van is not a Syncro.

The sound appears to be more of a scraping.  You can hear the sound when either driving straight (you hear it only slightly) or turning to the right (very noticeable), but not turning to the left.  

If I take my foot off the gas and slow down, I will hear the same sound, and it will get louder.

If I put on the brakes, I will hear the same sound; it will be loud.

To me it sounds like a scraping where as the wheel turns, you hear it, you don't, you hear it, you don't...  As if one part of possibly the brake shoe was touching the drum on every revolution.  Possibly the parking brake not releasing??

Not sure if you would then call this a ticking or thumping sound.

I notice you are in Southern NH.  I live in Merrimack just off the Nashua line.

Any chance of my driving the van over to where you are at so you can hear the sound?

thanks, Joe
------------------------------------------------

Can try to help here. Is the Van a Syncro? Sounds like it could be a CV joint. They seem to be plaguing us lately. Do you hear a ticking or thumping sound when you drive. The brakes are a good possiblity. We had to replace the front spindle, and full brake job on one of ours already so we have been there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by jdbs3 »

CBussin86

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
Hi there,

Sounds like you may need a brake job. Drums could be warped or break shoes could be  completely gone. Its possible that the cylinders could be bad. Sounds like its a candidate for a full brake job.
We are in Pelham NH I private messaged you yesterday and we could work out the details.   NO problem if you want to bring the van by. Seems like we are always around here working on one of the vans.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by CBussin86 »
84 Westy (the Happy Bus)
86 Syncro
86 Westy (currently under construction)
85 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender (Muffin)
85 Westy (we call him "parts")

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.