For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: GPS/Cellphone Dash Mount  (Read 2940 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
GPS/Cellphone Dash Mount
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:25:16 AM »
I know that many Westfalia drivers not only have a cellphone but also the ever increasing popular personal navigators known as GPS's, myself being one. I got to thinking about a handy place to mount these items plus a digital compass where they could be accessed and viewed easily and also be securely mounted. A logical place seemed next to the instrument cluster. In the middle of the dash there is an unused ash tray, that can easily be modified to support a 4.5" X 12" panel on which the three instruments can be mounted.<br><br>I removed the tilt back cover from the ash tray and filed the front side edges so the panel will lie flush on the dash. A .250" plastic panel covered with black vinyl and edged with black plastic strips was used as the mounting platform. To secure this to the ash tray opening, a rectangular piece of half inch thick rubber is cut to fit tightly in the opening and the platform super-glued to it.<br><br>My GPS is the Garmin "eTrexLegend" and it came with an adjustable dash mounting bracket. I bought an inexpensive hands-free cellphone mount for the cellphone and these two mounts are glued to the platform with the digital compass in the middle. All are securely mounted and are easely viewed or removed.<br>It's a good idea to remove the GPS and the Cellphone from their mounts if your vehicle is left unattended.<br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.