For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Hello Noob to the forum  (Read 3078 times)

volksbulli

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Hello Noob to the forum
« on: September 23, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
Greetings all!
  While I may be a Noob to the forum, surely not a noob on VW's! I've had a 63 Splitty, a 72 Westy, and 85 Vanagon(very short lived) and a few other air-cooled cars over the years. The one thats stayed with me the longest is my 67' Typ 1. It's been with me over 10 yrs now.

Anyways, I fell into a near cherry 82' Vanagon Westy for $300. It was orignally from Fla. It has one of the most clean bodies on a Vanagon and rustfree too that I have seen in a long time! Camper equipment is totally complete, stove, sink and refridge look like they were never used. All curtains, Eberspacher heater. Really a beautiful Bus. Automatic too. Just over 100k on the odo.

Of course with any deal of the century there is a catch...... Its going to need another motor or a rebuild. Compression is as follows 1) 30 psi, 2) O psi, 3) 60 psi, 4) 10 psi. So yeah its spent.

I have no experience with the automatics in busses, I've never heard of any problems with them, only experience I've had with VW autos is the 93+ Water cooled Mk3 Cars, I know they are junk!

So if you folks got a good 79-83 2.0 that you want to sell LMK. I'd be much obliged!
  Once again greetings and I hope to post here often.
 Jon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by volksbulli »
Jon Jaeger Proud owner of 1967 VW Typ 1, 1996 VW Golf, and Newly acquired T3 Westfalia

aviles

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:36:09 PM »
cant help you on the motor issue but welcome 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by aviles »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:50:48 AM »
My advice would be to purchase a Boston Bob engine.  Unless you have the time and knowledge to rebuild the engine yourself.  Bob stands behind every engine he sells.  (No I don't get commission even though it sounds like a commercial)   I've known Bob for years, he's helped me rebuild a couple of engines and I trust his work and knowledge.  

If the van is as nice as you say, it worth a new engine. Don't fool with some used unknown.

PS:  Bus automatic transmissions are quite reliable.  For some reason they just don't hold up as well in the cars.  But the vans work well.  Just take care of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.