For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: need help with hydraulic lifters this weekend  (Read 3186 times)

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
need help with hydraulic lifters this weekend
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
ok , im swiftly closing in on the end of my rope here.
i have a 2.0L with hydraulic lifters and 4 of them were soft,
i drained and replace the oil with 2 quart 10-30 and 1 quart mystery oil to try to pump them up. this did not work.
i replace the 4 soft ones with 4 hard pumped ones.
now on the #4 rocker arms the adjustment screws are way out, like the rods are not seated correctly, yet i triple checked the rods to be sure they were. it still sounds as though they are soft on #4.
could this be
A. the thin oil in the galley is lowering the oil pressure?
B. dropping valve seat?( which i dont think so since it was fine before)
C. im blind and didnt see the rod was not seated?
D.when i install the rods and rocker arms i need to turn the motor to TDC per piston for each valve set im installing?
Also if anyone wants to get their hands dirty whose got the knowhow and like free beer and BBQ call me im free this weekend
Joe 617-820-7968..Billerica Mass
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
no takers huh?
78Loaf

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »
so anyway...
At the advice of many. i adjusted the valve clearances to .002 and tried to pump up the lifters (cam followers) and after multiple tries and too much re-adjusting i gave up...i got some new lifters and tossed em in there , replaced some of the push rod tubes and seals that were looking haggard.
set clearances to +1.5 turns past contact on the rocker adjusting screws and guess what ?
the #4 exhaust screw is out by a considerable amount.boo-hoo.
so to level the adjusting screws i need to go 3.5 turns past contact, which i have been told is not an excessive amount of what they call pre-load.
So what seems to have happened here is , in the process  of trying to pump up the old lifters ( which later i found broken clips on 2 of them on the #1 cylinder side) is with too much valve lash i started to pound the valve seat on the #4 exhaust..so
WTB 2.0L valve head ! haha!, really i think 1.8 works too.lemme know if anyones got one.
The important lesson here is that when setting the hydrualic valves it ok to have some lash or slop ( this is when you set them like solid lifters to allow oil into the lifter cavity and force air out)
just rev a little and dont drive around town as some folks have told me it was ok to do so . Its to be expected i guess when the head on the bus is 30 years old..
Happy Bussing !
78Loaf

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.