For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Subwoofer amp - power takeoff  (Read 4006 times)

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
Subwoofer amp - power takeoff
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:33:54 AM »
I'm putting in a subwoofer. I already have the speaker mounted under the rear folding seat. I plan on putting the power amp above the seat in the cabinet up top. I've run the power wires to the engine compartment. Now I need to know where to attach the wires so I get continuous power.  I know I have a couple of options, but I wonder if somebody found a good safe way of doing this. <br> ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Subwoofer amp - power takeoff
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:33:37 PM »
You will find in the compartment behind the drivers seat that normally would hold the  second aux battery a connection that brings battery power across from the main battery behind the passenger seat and then feeds to a fuse block mounted on the door pillar. This fuse block then feeds 12VDC to the fridge, water level indicator and the overhead light above the stove. I tapped off the connection block in the battery compartment to feed power to my console between the seat to power a CD player and the aux 12V cooler. Check the camper wiring diagram in the Bentley book, section 97.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
Re: Subwoofer amp - power takeoff
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I did check it out but I think I found a better way for where I am placing the amp. A friend of mine, Binns, sent me photos a long time ago of his setup which is more like mine. <br><br>In the left side of the engine compartment is a black box. There is "hot" wires there. <br><br><br>My wire is the copper looking one. I snaked it through an existing grommet. I squeezed a lug on the wire and attached it to the post and fastened the nut down. This is a very convenient location since I snaked the power wire into the closet and then up to the upper cabinet. I didn't have to drill a hole to get it in the closet, but I did have to drill a tiny hole from the closet into the upper cabinet. I like this way because it is a minimal and unseen mod. The ground wire went right to the engine block where there is other grounds. <br><br><br>In the upper cabinet is where my amp will be. I now have power to it. But, what about the signal to the amp from the cd player? Well, Volkswagen unknowingly already had supplied me with pre-wired means. From the radio up front there are 3 wires, a blue, gray, and red, that was meant to power the tiny speakers. There is only 3 wires because one was a common ground to both speakers back there.  Anyway, it works out perfect because I soldered two of the wires to an RCA plug going into the CD player and on the other end I soldered a RCA plug to go into the amp. That leaves one wire which I used for the remote (power antenna) to turn on the amp when I turn on the CD player.  Damn thoughtful of VW, don't you think? Now I got power, preamp in's, and remote turn-on. The only thing left is the speaker run. VW was thoughtful again. Where the three wires come into the cabinet is a hole where I snaked the speaker wires out. Then I ran them behind the curtain panel and down to the subwoofer under the seat.  This is the part I haven't worked out yet. I'd like to get the wire tight to the van body from the curtain down under the seat.  Anyway, I'm ready to go thumping along.  I can hear the kick drum and bass listening to ZZ Top as I tool on down the road. <br><br>P.S. Depending on your power amp, those little speakers don't have to go to waste. You can hook them right up to the power amp if you got the right attenuation. <br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.