For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Where's the coolant leak?  (Read 14702 times)

MrLiMBO

Re: Rear Heater Leak
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »
Quote from: "Red Baron"
I hate to say it but it looks like you've got severe corrosion problems under there in addition to the coolant leak.

Doesn't look too bad for a vehicle that is 24 years old.  I'd becareful of that coolant pipe.  The one with the kink in it looks like its getting pretty punky and could spring a leak any time.  That would suck on your way to West River Westies or to Northampton to pick up your daughter.  I think Frank Condelli is making repro steel pipes for that year van.  In a pinch you can get some universal flexible radiator hose, cut the rusty part out and fit the hose in there.  I've been there and done that.  Its the only time I had to have the van towed when that pipe popped.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »
http://www.benplace.com/cooling_system_hoses.htm

On plugging the hoses - See the diagram at the above URL.   See how the rear heater is fed from your cooling "circuit" going to the front radiator.  When you remove the heater core and connect the two hoses, you have no resistance, while the radiator up front is offering resistance.  So the coolant is going to take the easier route - preferring to go through the new route you created, rather than the radiator, but...since the rear heater is fed by smaller diameter hoses than the radiator hoses,(and off Tee's off the heater hose to the front heater)  it is not going to stop all the flow to the radiator, but it will lessen the flow through the radiator.  Just watch your temp gauge, especially when it gets warmer.  If it's not much higher than normal, don't sweat it.  That kink might be doing you a good thing!

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »
Thanks for your response. In answer to your first post, I think I will pull the unit and set it side for now and use the extra room this season.  And, later this year buy the white plug and o-ring for the unit.
Right now I have to set priorities. Pulling the gas tank and replacing the seals for the "balance" tube is one. I want to be able to fill the gas tank without worrying if it will spill all over the ground. And, it will be at that time when the tank is dropped to evaluate that punky looking coolant line.
Then after that, I have some front suspension issues to tackle. But, first I have to get the motorcycle on the road should the van be off the road for a couple of days.
Yikes!!! Too much to do !!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
John, that diagram is for a 86-91 vanagon.  Phil's 84 is slightly different.  There is a separate set of hoses that run from the front of the right head to the front heater core and then back to the steel pipe the crosses over the top of the engine. There are two 'tees' that come off those hoses and go to the rear heater.   Its basically independent of the main system.  IF Phil wanted he could crawl under the bus with a couple of connector like the one he bought and remove the coolant 'tees' that direct coolant to the rear heater and it wouldn't effect anything.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »
Sorry, didn't realize about the 1.9L   :oops:   Guess I know enough to be dangerous.  Sounds like the only disadvantage, would be a less flow to the front heater when you want it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.