For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Roof Rack  (Read 4698 times)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
Roof Rack
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »
I'd like to hear what people think is the best route for a Vanagon roof rack - to carry kayaks and canoe.

On my old van, it had the fake rain butter brackets bolted through the pop-top.  That worked, but I'd really like a rear rack at the very back of the van for easy loading.  Also, I'm not sure I want to go this route with the new van for two reasons.

Even with just the weight of the cross bars, it made it noticeably harder to raise the pop-top.  And I'm afraid of stress cracks over time.

Right now I'm using a trailer.  I've seen the Gary Lee racks which puts weight on the gutter, but can life with the pop-top.  It's pretty cool, only  pricey for bare bars and I like my bars to go beyond the vertical support for east tying down of loads, vs the radius end on the Gary Lee bars.

John
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

The Blue Max

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
our roof rack
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »
John,

We sometimes carry kayaks (one is 40 lbs, one 60 lbs.- each 12' long).  ...and it took a lot to go ahead and drill those holes in the fiberglass to mount the artificial rain gutters.  We did It is probably what you had....
a Yakima set up.  
wide body artifical gutters
58" bar
Mako saddles

Prior to the decision, we did a lot of research on the Samba website and contacted several people who had posted their setups on the Samba.   Placement of the brackets took time for us to decide up on as well.  I don't recall how far apart they are.  We don't carry the kayaks often, in the whole scheme of things...so hopefully stress cracks won't be an issue down the road.  

The ladder was a tad too long to fit in the luggage well on the roof, so we cut it down by 1/2" and remounted the feet back on.  When we raise the roof, Brad stands in the luggage well, and I inside the van to lift up.  Same with lowering.  Being careful is obviously quite important.   To load them, we load from the back, by both of us lifting the kayak, Brad in the front being 6' tall, he can position the front of the kayak on the saddle, then we slide them forward.  He uses the ladder to strap them up afterwards.    

[/img]

Good luck.
Andrea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by The Blue Max »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
Roof Rack
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »
Thanks for the input Andrea.  Don't feed Brad too much at those LiMBO camp-outs or he might not be able to stand up there!  LOL

Your set-up is similar to what I had - but your brackets are farther apart and the rear one is further back - a better placement for kayaks for sure!

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

85-gon

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »
Saw one of these on the back of a bay window that the guy used to load his canoe.  

http://http://www.orsracksdirect.com/maine-roll-on-kayak-canoe-loader.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 85-gon »
85 Westy
90 Mulitvan

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.