For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: m-codes for air-cooled Vanagons  (Read 3412 times)

dennis perusse

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
m-codes for air-cooled Vanagons
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:13 PM »
hello everyone,

I need help. I purchased a 1981 air-cooled Vanagon and I am looking to translate the m-codes that I had for options for the van. Having said this can anyone tell me of a place where I may find them, in English, if possible. My local vw dealer doesn't have records that go back that far and I am unsure if the m-codes used on the earlier bay windows are the same ones. The samba pointed out to me a site but it is in German and my German is non-existant. Bablefish wasn't too helpful there either in translating it. :-(  

Any help is appreciated in this endeavor.

dennis
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dennis perusse »

dmartin

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
M-codes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »
Hi Dennis! I have a 1981 Vanagon also, in northern Vermont. It's tucked away for the winter. From what I can find, from 1980 on there are no M-codes, just the VIN. Here's a link to explain the VIN:
http://www.vanagon.com/info/vin/

I got my 1981 on Ebay for $1000 about 5 years ago. Rebuilt the engine myself last spring, adding at least 10hp by changing to larger jugs/pistons and larger valves.  8)

Dan Martin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dmartin »
1981 Vanagon - 2.08L. Our other vehicles - 2000 Tacoma, 2000 Ford Excursion and 2000 F250 with 7.3L Diesels.....I converted these to burn WVO. My living - maple sugaring, poultry processing and portable sawmilling.

Stanagon

• Global Moderator
  • LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 11:16:29 PM »
The M-codes show up in the factory parts microfiche. They are located at the bottom edge of the microfiche with other valuable production information.

If you post your M-codes here I can try to identify them using the fiche I have at work. There are four pages of M-codes listed and I'm not going to type the whole list.

-Stan
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Stanagon »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.