For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Oxy sensor light on dash  (Read 4575 times)

ChrisHager

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Oxy sensor light on dash
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »
I thought I posted this 2 weeks ago, but it seems to not be here or anywhere else, so, again:   The red oxy warning light on my '87 is on.  One mechanic told me it's a reminder, not an indication of a specific problem, and there's a reset on a box up under the spare tire.  If so, OK, but what did it want to remind me of?  I pass emissions without a problem-- lots of room to spare.  Yeah, I need to change the oil, but that's not what it's there for.   So, what's it about?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ChrisHager »
Owned a VW van since \'74 (took a \'66 from Boston to Guatemala and back that year), have an \'87 now, and 3 Porsches (2 are VW-Porsche 914), and a Berkeley

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:51:06 PM »
The light is set to go off every 35K miles.  So you can go to the dealer and get your van checked out.  Since you've just done that, then reset the light and forget about.  

Do you know how to set the light?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
YIKES!! I was just going to post. MY oxy-sensor went on on my way out to Northampton yesterday. WHat do I do?
I'm home, road weary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »
Its easy peasy lemon squeezy.  

Crall under the front of the van.  Find the speed cable coming out of the wheel, follow it to the black box.  If memory serves, it should be mounted to a bracket just on the left side of the spare tire mount.  On the top of the box, near  where the speedo cable screws in is a button.  You'll need a pen or screw driver (or something simlar)  Just depress the button untill you hear a click.  Thats it, your done.  Light should be off.    

I'm sure there is something that should be done at this time as far as maintenance, but I can't remember.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Busturd

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »
This light just goes on automatically every timed interval, to tell you to replace O2 sensor. Just reset it.  If your O2 sensor is very old, replace it! Many people just get rid of it and replace with a solid single speedo cable!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Busturd »
87 Westy full camper
Central NJ and Ma

mark & carol

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »
or just unplug the electrical connector
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mark & carol »
87 westy

99 euro

84 gl

87 syncro

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.