For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Follow up on Ketchup - Webmaster's indulgence  (Read 4882 times)

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
Follow up on Ketchup - Webmaster's indulgence
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:30:52 AM »
I once did a blog on how much sugar was in ketchup. Then, the second and third  ingredient was corn syrup, and high fructose corn syrup, both of which are sugars, highly refined sugars. That made ketchup almost as sweet as the equivalent amount of cane sugar, table sugar.

Good news! Heinz now makes a Ketchup that has 75% less sugar than their regular ketchup. Now, in the ingredients list, the very last one is sucralose, which is Splenda.

I bought a bottle and guess what? It tastes more like ketchup than their regular ketchup. When I eat it, it doesn't feel as if I stuck my tongue in and licked a sugar bowl.

They, food producers, will sell you what ever will sell. If I  had my way, I'd buy the reduced sugar Ketchup, and take the rest of the sugar and turn it into bio-fuel and put it in my Westy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ketchup
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »
It just tells you how programed we are to what (they) say we like. Make your own its just boiled down tomatos, add water to tomato paste and you have ketchup, with out the s@#t. ok I vented the King of Cons
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »
I vent too because it pisses me off dumping corn syrup in everything.  Salad dressings are just as bad as ketchup. Pick up a bottle and you will see corn syrup near the top of the list of ingredients.  I don't want f**king corn syrup on my salad.

How did that happen anyway? The basic recipe for a dressing is vinegar and oil and herbs.  It's not vinegar, oil AND corn syrup.

The Atkin's diet guy says they dump sugar into everything to make crappy ingredients taste good.

I did find ONE salad dressing that tastes good and is without sugar. It is Ken's Steak House Itailian "Dressing and Maranade".  Not any of the other Ken's Italian dressings, just the "Dressing and Maranade" one.  It boasts one carb per serving.

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
Ken's is my favorite.  Hmm, good.  

My buddie at work has been trying to get me off the soft drinks.  He Babbles about manufactored sugars and  brain altering chemicals.  And not the good kind either.  :cry:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
I stopped drinking soda pop since they went to corn syrup. It leaves a slime in my mouth.  At first, I thought it was me. But, my daughter, when she was a little girl, would rather have a diet soda, not even knowing anything about corn syrup. Until this day, she probably never had a soda sweetened with cane sugar.

Wanna talk about canned sauces? They dump corn syrup in then too. I happen to live in town that has the best Italian food you can imagine. The only time they used sugar in their sauces was when that particular batch of tomato's was a little bitter, otherwise, it was never used. Now, it is a matter of course to use sugar by manufacturers.

But, don't be fooled, they use sugar because the other stuff they put in is junk. Sugar covers up bad stuff.

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ketchup
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »
Now you want to talk about Italian food you should come to Westerly oh my god. Then there is Federal hill in Providence the home of Venda ravioli, don,t get me started. Rhode Island home of the Family only second to New Jersey. The Con Kid

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
Isn't Rhode Island the home of Emeril Laggassie?  Or was that Fall River? I heard he was from that neck of the woods.    Man if I won the lottery, I'd have Emeril cook at my house for a week.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »
Hmmm! Interesting! I heard good things about Rhode Island cuisine. In all my travels around I have NEVER had as good Italian food as I have right here. I did go to a few Italian restaurants in Florida, the only thing they had in common with Italian restaurants here was that the sauce was red, but that was where the camparison stopped.

MY favorite Pizza place here started in 1914. It has been in operation for 93 years. It is in it's 3rd generation.

http://http://www.uticapizza.com

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ketchup
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 07:35:33 PM »
Yes he is from Fall River only he is not Italian, do they make Soupy in Yorkville? it,s a southern boot thing but is made all over the boot everyone does it different, It,s an old world thing but only done in Italy cure dried pork. They do it everywhere else with beef. Come to the mini state man and we show you cooking!!!!!!!!!!!! The Con Kid

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.