For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: WEST RIVER WESTIES IV  (Read 12202 times)

Red Baron

WEST RIVER WESTIES IV
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »
Summer arrived yesterday at 2:06PM and in just three weeks from today is the start of WEST RIVER WESTIES IV

Again this year we welcome you to the 4th West River Westies at Bald Mountain Campground in Townshend Vermont.

Like last year, the featured event will be the now famous "LiMBO Regatta" to be held on Saturday afternoon. The West River is not quite up to the flow of last year, but is adequate for great tubing. Remember, you must have some sort of minimum costume to captain or decorate whatever you launch in the river.

Late Saturday afternoon will be the traditional Potluck Supper followed by a Raffle to benefit the Grace Cottage Hospital in Townshend, Vermont. Eric Lindskog, aka "The Rib Man" will also be there to offer his famous smoked BBQ Pork Ribs.

See Eric on Saturday if you desire ribs at the Potluck Supper. They're really great and he does a great job and knows how to do the Ribs just right. There will be a sign up sheet on the pavillion porch for the Potluck supper when you arrive for your choice of what you would like to contribute (main dish, side dish, salad, dessert, etc).

For young and old alike, you may participate again in the VW Model Contest with either a camping theme diorama or just enter a plain commercial diecast, homemade or whatever model.

There are plenty of other things to do in the area. Biking, hiking, touring back roads, visit local attractions or just hang around the campground. There is also swimming at the nearby Corp of Engineers Townshend Lake Recreation Area.

For reservations, call Bald Mountain Campground at 802-365-7510. Tell them you are with the West River Westies group and get the special discounted rate of $23.85/day (tax included with elecs and water). There has been no

increase in this rate over last year. Ice and firewood are also available at the office. Other supplies, including gas (As of 6/21 the price was $2.959/gal) and air for tube inflation are available locally in Townshend and Newfane.

In conclusion, a couple of words of caution:

(1) Watch your speed on Route 30 between Brattleboro and Townshend (Limit 50mph with reduced limits in small communities along the way). Vermont State Police are always on patrol along this route as are the Windham County Sheriffs out of Newfane. (I know: Been there, Done that!)

(2) Be sure to securely anchor all tents, canopies and vehicle awnings. The West River Valley is subject to pop-up weather micro-bursts as many can attest to in previous years.

(3) Read and comply with BMC Rules especially with regard to small children, pets and of course use of the river.

Finally, we are hopeing for good weather, some improvement in the West River flow for tubing and look forward to seeing you all on the 13th by the river!.

Nev and Sue Lescher, your Hosts and Wagonmasters.

John Netsel and Kevin Kruger, Strong Arm Men, Sargeants at Arms.

Please Note: A bed in the DeTox Ward at Grace Cottage Hospital is available for those requiring it at any time. See Gerry, Rich, Phil, John or Kevin for further details on this amenity.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:26:42 PM by Red Baron »

Stanagon

• Global Moderator
  • LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Do you have to bring your own tubes? Is there a place to fill them?

Any split window buses ever attend?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Stanagon »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
Bring your own tubes.  There is a service station near the park were you can get air.  I blew mine up before hand.  Although, the first year, Dale Skoval (sp?) had his 12v air pump.

Dale Skoval and myself were the only two Splits I recall attending.  Dale has a 67 camper.   My 67 attends with help from the Mighty Duck. It was our tube transporter and  I did sleep in it.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Red Baron

Free Air? for Tubes at WRW IV
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »
There is a possibility that air (hot or cold, high or low pressure) will be available on site at WRW IV for tube inflation. It might be a little pricey with a donation to Grace Cottage Hospital.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
west river westys
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:09:46 PM »
Oh great and powerful Gnome of Locks, I can bring a compressor to air the tubes if you like. Its not a 12volt take an hour to fill, just say the word and its there. later the King of Flaming Cons
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 06:18:09 PM »
If we think it might be a real issue to have a compressor, I have one that runs on 110 V with a 3 gallon tank and puts out 95 lbs that I can throw in the 'Tube Bus' for the weekend.

BTW, how large can a tractor-trailer tube be safely blown up to?

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
west river westys
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 07:58:46 PM »
Till it blows up? I give up, is this a trick question. Later the Con Kid

MrLiMBO

Re: west river westys
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 08:58:08 AM »
Quote from: "rmace"
Till it blows up? I give up, is this a trick question. Later the Con Kid

No really, I just wondered what diameter, I could blow up the tube.  I just wasn't sure how pliable the rubber was or how big it would go.  Can I blow it up to 4 feet around? I just wasn't sure.  I hate to waste a tube, and potentially get hurt, just to find out.   I was just hoping someone would say its okay to blow them up to 5 feet.

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
west river westys
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 07:30:27 PM »
With out the tire you can actuality blow it up till it pops. Fill it with air till your happy with the size. Hope this helps, with out the tire you can not put a pressure gauge on it. Rubber expands, just like a balloon. Later the King of Con,s

Red Baron

Keep on Pumping
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 09:53:12 PM »
Never mind the pressure gauge, just keep on pumping until the tire looks like this!

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:28:22 PM »
I like 'em BIG!!   BOOM BABY!!

Red Baron

West River Westies Supports Grace Cottage Hospital
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 02:11:33 PM »
From the Summer Issue of the "Cottage Door", Grace Cottage Hospital, Townshend, Vermont, the newsletter of the Otis Health Care Center.

Red Baron

"I'm on my way to West River Westies"
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
"By Gum, I'll make it yet!. There's only 16 days left. Hope these new tires hold out on my Westy. They got no tubes so I'll just have to make do with something else in the Regatta."

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 10:11:33 AM »
So who is going???

We're going, the family plus 1.  I know my friends, The Haytko's are going and my parents too.

jereandjess

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 02:48:13 AM »
We are going again.  It was tons of fun last year and we recruited my brother to drive our other bus, and friends from VT who have a 78 Champagne Westy.

Can't wait for the tubing and the ribs!

I hope it rains a bit between now and then, so the river is a bit high, like it was last year.

See you there!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by jereandjess »
77 Sage Green Westfalia
78 Blue/White Landmark Camper Bus
69 Bug
86 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.