For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: seat headrest removal  (Read 3979 times)

dmartin

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
seat headrest removal
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:55:33 AM »
My 1981 Vanagon is perfect for our family of 8 (that's right - 7 kids and mother). I'm trying to make it as safe as possible, and would like to add headrests to the back seats. I can feel holes in the appropriate locations along the top of the back seat... Removing headrests from my "parts Vanagon" was a cinch: pull the clips and out it comes. But you need the plastic socket too. Anyone know how to remove the socket? I don't want to destroy the donor seats to see what's holding it in there, but will if I have to.... Thanks for any help!   Dan in Northern Vermont
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dmartin »
1981 Vanagon - 2.08L. Our other vehicles - 2000 Tacoma, 2000 Ford Excursion and 2000 F250 with 7.3L Diesels.....I converted these to burn WVO. My living - maple sugaring, poultry processing and portable sawmilling.

Stanagon

• Global Moderator
  • LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »
What about ordering a new headrest receptacle from Mr.Limbo (he's a  parts man at a dealer) and observing how it's made? I haven't pulled any myself so I can't help you. Plus that way you have a spare for the first one you destroy trying to remove it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Stanagon »

dmartin

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:12:04 AM »
The last time I went into the nearest VW dealership (Montpelier, VT) I inquired about some engine cooling tin I was missing and asked if they could locate a part. They gave me a funny look and said,"What's a Vanagon?" It's hard to believe that noone else out there has had this issue. Maybe someone has an old ratty seat they can rip open??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dmartin »
1981 Vanagon - 2.08L. Our other vehicles - 2000 Tacoma, 2000 Ford Excursion and 2000 F250 with 7.3L Diesels.....I converted these to burn WVO. My living - maple sugaring, poultry processing and portable sawmilling.

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.