For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: hydraulic lifters  (Read 4341 times)

rrohde

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
hydraulic lifters
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:07:27 PM »
Has anyone ever researched and found a different lifter--one that stays pumped up?

I rebuilt my air-cooled  Vanagon a couple thousand miles ago, and set the lifters at 1 1/2 turns.  It still clatters if only sitting for a day!  It usually quiets down fairly quick, but sometimes one of the lifters hangs up for 15 minutes or so!  And yes, I replaced the lifters and cam with new ones at rebuild.  Any suggestions?  Oh, I did disassemble each one and bled them before initial startup.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rrohde »

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:43:43 PM »
I have had similar issues with hydraulic lifters in the past, mostly with air cooled engines. My 63 Corvair had one that would stick down until it got hot until I finally added Marvel Mystery Oil. My 90 Montero also has the same issue on occasion.  again I have had good results with Marvel Mystery oil. I speculate the lifter leaks down when left under compression and sticks there, thus unable to pump up as it should. Typically I do not subscribe to remedy's from a can, but I have had good luck with this one. It is inexpensive to try, hope it helps.

Guy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

dmartin

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:00:20 AM »
I've rebuilt two 2.0 liter air-cooled vanagon engines over the past years, both with success and both with sometimes noisy lifters. But within seconds they're quiet again. The book I rebuilt with said to turn in the adjusting screws two full turns, not one and a half. Maybe that extra half turn is the key, allowing them to get a full pump each stroke of the lifter. Hope this helps too.... Dan in Northern Vermont
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dmartin »
1981 Vanagon - 2.08L. Our other vehicles - 2000 Tacoma, 2000 Ford Excursion and 2000 F250 with 7.3L Diesels.....I converted these to burn WVO. My living - maple sugaring, poultry processing and portable sawmilling.

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:34:48 AM »
Engine builder Bob Donalds @ Boston Engine has had extensive work with VW Hydraulic lifters.  Apparently, Bentley had a missing paragraph in lifter section of some of the older copies of the repair manuals.  Bob has determined a procedure to properly bleed and install Hydraulic lifter in the Air/watercooled flat 4 engines.  Call him 508-358-6264 remember he is a business so his time is limited.  I don't have his eMail here at work, if I remember when I get home, I'll post it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.