For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Automatic Transmission Shifting Problem  (Read 3983 times)

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Automatic Transmission Shifting Problem
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »
Today, I shifted my 88 Westy's automatic transmission into neutral while going down hill doing around 40 mph. I was hoping to reduce the noise of the drive train to listen for a squeak that I was hearing.  I shifted back into drive while doing around 30 mph, and it did not engage. but made a unhappy noise. When I stopped, and then drove away, it would no longer shift from first gear. I would appreciate input on possible repairs, and or sources for a replacement transmission if I end up needing one.

Thanks,

Guy  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Automatic Transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:08:47 PM »
Hi Folks,

After researching to the teeth, I ordered a rebuilt transmission from GoWesty.  Our local Trans shop would give a "free" estimate after taking it apart. If I declined the repair, I would get a box of parts. This would not be an acceptable core to return for a rebuild exchange. After considering having a repaired 135000 mile transmission VS a total rebuild, I decided to go with the later. Another factor was our local shop could not test it at all out of the vehicle. Too much risk for me with such a short camping season. I will post the results when it is done.

Guy

mark

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:23:49 AM »
I was able to get good help from Parts Place 1-248-373-2300 they have new,some used and rebult parts for all volkswagens.Can I ask what your EMG RPM is or was at 65 MPH? I know you will find a used auto trans good luck thanks Mark.
________
starcraft II replay
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:26:17 AM by mark »

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the parts contact, Mark. I already ordered a rebuilt from GoWesty. It arrives tomorrow. I plan on doing rear wheel bearings, brakes, and the transmission this coming weekend. If memory serves me correctly, I think it would be turning around 3500 RPM at 65mph. I may be off on it a bit.

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.