For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: What is This?  (Read 4001 times)

Beckybug3

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
What is This?
« on: April 08, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »
I am restoring a '78 champagne edition camper. During my eternal search for brown interior parts, I've been working on the mechanicals. We discovered this thingie just inside the front bumper. It has a thin cable that connects to beaded wire that connects to the accelerator pedal. It also has a vacuum hose that connects to the master cylinder (at least that is where it looks to go). I know the bus used to have AC and cruise both added on. The 2 large hoses next to it are from the AC. ..... Anyone have a clue ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Beckybug3 »
Trying to restore a 1978 Champagne edition and a 1970 field find Camper.

Wish me luck!

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:10:03 PM »
My best guess is cruise control. I installed them in my cars and trucks since they first came out. Being tall, I loved them.

Anyways, they had beaded ends on them for length adjustment and some models attached right to the gas pedal. There was also some wiring to the brake pedal light switch that would disengage the cruise control when pressed. And lastly they ran on vacuum. I remember tapping into a vacuum hoses for this vacuum cylinder about 3 inches in diameter or so that did the actual pulling.

I also remember attaching a magnet to the drive shaft and mounting a little pickup sensor over the magnet.

Good Luck... Phil
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

Beckybug3

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
Thanks! I wonder if I can get the thing to work. It would make long trips MUCH nicer, if not I can get a new one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Beckybug3 »
Trying to restore a 1978 Champagne edition and a 1970 field find Camper.

Wish me luck!

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.