For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Big E Auto Parts Swap N' Sell  (Read 3302 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Big E Auto Parts Swap N' Sell
« on: January 21, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
Yesterday with temperatures down in the teens and a wind chill of around 5 above, I decided to take in "The Mother of All Swap Meets", the nationally recognized "Auto Parts Swap N' Sell" at the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, MA. It was billed as to feature one million parts and literature for antique, street rod, classic and competition cars and trucks. What they didn't tell was that a million guys and gals would be there and also featured would be the same number of imported mechanic's tools and other stuff, most likely made from sub-standard steel!<br>     I thing I did under-estimate was the dress-du-jour for this event as everyone wore baggy jeans or overalls (some not washed for several weeks), grease soaked boots and I guess if you were really into it, a black leather Dale Earnhart jacket!.<br>     After 3 hours of walking up and down aisles and maneuvering around those who chose to stop and talk in the middle of the aisles, it was time for refreshment, so I headed for the nearest food concession. Unfortunately, the booth with the Patroit's Chearleaders was between me and the concession and it seemed that everyone at the show was there to get a look or have their picture taken with one! Don't know why they weren't in Indianapolis? I finally made it to the food concession and ordered a $5.00 Bud and a $3.50 Chilli Dog. The Bud came quick but the Chili Dog took forever. I think the delay was caused by the fact that the cook had to tape together two regular sized dogs with duct tape and then hide the joint with lots of Chili!<br>     Anyway, it was a fun event and I came home with a few more non-essential items, all except for one item. That is a LED Low Profile Third Brake Light for Classic Cars. Its unique feature is that each half (left and right) responds to the directional signals as well as the brake. It should mount easily in the rear window of my Westy. If you are interested in this product, let me know and I can give you particulars.<br>     If you plan to attend this event next year don't plan on looking for too many Volkswagen items as they aren't any. Enjoy the scenery, whose got what for sale, the duct-taped Dogs and 5 buck Buds. You might even bump into someone you know!. I did: John Jordan from LiMBO and Chuck Pisconski, promoter of Connecticut VW Shows at Harwinton and Terryville. He even had a booth.<br>These are my non-essential purchases!<br>The two Jada Die-Cast Splitty Cal Low Riders in 1/24 scale are really neat. Well detailed even down to the engine and interior. Not bad at two for 25 bucks. <br><br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Big E Auto Parts Swap N' Sell
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
I used to go to this show, seems to have changed into a place to sell race parts, more than rod or even (less )antique parts.  I kept going even when my interest fell to almost non-exsistent, because a friend has has a Edsel would go, so it was basically time with a friend.<br><br>I do miss the $1.00 glove overruns, and few other cheap items I would get to try and make it worth my while.  One year I did get two Vanagon Label pins - rare find and my best ever.  <br><br>Didn't make it this year.  <br>Never had a problem with the "dress code" as that's how I often look on weekends.   You're just a too snazzy dresser, but then again that's what we expect as the Fashion advisor  and clothing purchaser for the LiMBO Mart!<br><br>John<br><br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:00:04 PM »
I've been half heartly trying to make this event for 20 years.  The one year I made a real attempt, (about 20 years ago) my bug broken down (lost the generator nut and shims, a long story for another time) and I didn't make it.  Since then, I've either missed the date, had other commitments or just didn't feel like going.  Doesn't sound like a missed much.  

The one show I have make a real effort to go to, at the Big E, over the past 10 years is the Camping and RV show.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.