For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: List your favorite camp spot/Attraction in Maine  (Read 13576 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
List your favorite camp spot/Attraction in Maine
« on: January 28, 2004, 08:11:45 PM »
Hey, I thought we could get a dialog going on special Maine spots!  :D<br><br>I suggest that other LiMBO members elsewhere start a similar local thread (How bout Washington state - I going there in August -hint, hint! ;))<br><br>I listed Acadia - but there is plenty of others
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: List your favorite camp spot/Attraction in Mai
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 08:55:48 AM »
One of our favorite places in Maine is the Maine state park at Weld---Mount Blue State Park. Just above Rumford. We first camped there back in the '60s when the sites were only about a dozen and located right down on Lake Webb. Over the years the park has been expanded and the last time we went there, the State had just completed a new restroom complete with flush toilets and hot showers. Really a beautiful park and from the beach area you can see Mt. Blue and it really appears blue. Swimming, boating, hiking trails and interpretive interactive nature stuff in a neat outdoor amphitheater. If you're an avid hiker take the climb up Mt Blue. A great view from the top.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 12:37:16 PM »
My Family and I go to Poland Spring Campground all the time.  Great Vibes there.  Nice people, clean with a beach and pool.  Lots of stuff for the kids to do and only 45 minutes from OOB. <br><br>We also like Hid'n'pines Campground in OOB.  Walking distance to the beach, clean, friendly and the price is good.   <br>We also stayed at Baileys Park in Scarboro just up the road from Hid'n'pines and OOB.  Nice place but pricey.  Cheaper at Hid'n'pines and closer to OOB.  

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 01:10:22 PM »
<br><br>One of my favorite places in Acadia National Park in Maine.  Blackwoods (national park) campground is favored by me (and everyone else), but it's tuff to get a spot at times.  Reservations only. <br> <br>However, on the other side of the island at Seawall (National Park) campground, there is always room <br> <br>Acadia has rock climbing, sea kayaking and miles and miles of gravel carriage roads for mountin biking.  There is a section closed to biking that is only open horses and there is a stable that rents horses.  You can also go for a sail on small schooner of go into Bar Harbor, get ice cream and do the tourist thing. <br> <br>There is plenty of hiking and while the "mountains" are small, the views of the island are incredible. <br> <br>There are plenty of places to pull your van over and enjoy a meal in a beautiful setting   <br> <br>Must DO <br>Bike careriage paths (rentals available)  <br>Hike the Bee Hive <br>Hike Cadillac Mtn <br>Hike the Precipice (not for the timid you will be standing on iron rungs on the face of the cliff at times) <br>Bike Park Loop Road - not during prime time though! <br>Sit at the sea shore on the rocks at sunset <br> <br>John R. <br>81 Westy

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 01:02:06 PM »
Keep on posting those Maine camping spots.  Lots of good information so far.!!!<br><br>Thanks,<br>Bill M<br>Mystic,CT<br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 07:24:48 PM »
OK, I'll throw another one out there.  Lobster Buoy Campground in So. Thomaston, just south of Rockland.  It's not a fancy place, but it is on the water.  The place is a fairly narrow strip to the ocean with a few cabins on the water, and cramped tent sites on the water.  Because of a gentle slope to the ocean, almost everyone gets a view - but I don't care about the view.  It's just great that there is a small (Maine) sand beach from which one can launch a kayak and go for a paddle at the end of the day.<br><br>Plywood bathrooms, no pool, but great home made pies served on Fridays and weekends.  There is an outdoor sink with hot and cold to wash dishes - nice. <br><br>I saw at least one VW van there every night I have camped there.  Once there were 2 Euro Westys, a Vanagon Westy, Std Vanagon and a Bay Westy.  VW owners know where to camp!

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 05:26:49 PM »
Buses By the Buoy usually camps in a different spot every year.  Lets here from some of those who attended some of those events over the years!!!!

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 02:25:56 AM »
Buses by the Buoy is ALWAYS a must attend event for me. The camping and comradre is what really makes it fun.<br><br>Acadia and Hermit Island are two spots that stand out in my memory from past BbB events though. There have been some other great spots too. <br><br>Me and the kids had a blast at last year's Buoy at the commercial campground with putt putt golf, heated pools/whirpools and plenty of EXTRA Lobster!<br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 09:30:53 PM »
I'm going to miss Busses by the Buoy again as the company outing falls on it again!  >:(<br><br>But we are going to Acadia - again (went last year), but this year no mother-in-law ;D, which means we take the Westy!<br><br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 09:52:55 PM »
From the Events Listing: Busses by the Buoy will be a long haul for most.  With kids in school and pretty much a full day's drive to get there (and then back)  I guess I will have too, once again' miss this elusive event that I have wanted to make for 3 years now - Damn!  <br><br>Anyways - details in the events listing  "Sept 7-9,2007 Buses by the Buoy '07 Event will be held way Downeast, Lubec or Eastport, Maine. This is the most Eastern point in the contiguous US, a long haul for some..."  

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
Last year at Buses by the Buoy Mike King mentioned that '07 was going to be way up there in Eastport Maine. So, a few of us were talking about getting together that same weekend, only down lower in Maine, maybe even at the same place we were last year, at Dixon's Campground.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
OK, further south that might be more do-able. <br><br>Not that I wouldn't mind going to Lubec / Eastport area, just with the kids in school, I don't know if that much driving makes sense for a short weekend. Maybe if we pulled the kids out of school for a day or two. <br><br>How was Dixon's anyways? I was in Portsmouth New Hampshire that weekend, not very far away.  You should visit the candy store in that town "I Want Candy".  Has the stuf form my youth and actual real ants or other insects in various forms. <br><br>John - dreaming of summer trips already

Red Baron

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »
WOW Eastport?  Thats like the Canadian border.  I just did a mapquest from my place in Adams.  450 miles and 8 and half hours.  Can't make that one in a weekend.  <br><br>If it does go they high up, perhaps we could do one in downeast Maine.  Perhaps Old Orchard Beach (OOB).  OOB is a nice place and not too busy that time of year.  We camp at a place called Hid-n-Pines and its walking distance to the beach/boardwalk.  <br><br>
Quote from: philip link=board=002;num=1075338705;start=0#10 date=01/17/07 at 13:49:35
Last year at Buses by the Buoy Mike King mentioned that '07 was going to be way up there in Eastport Maine. So, a few of us were talking about getting together that same weekend, only down lower in Maine, maybe even at the same place we were last year, at Dixon's Campground.
<br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:42:56 PM »
Maybe you and Phil can pick a place - Did you note where Phil (the web mass-tah" is talking about in an above post?  <br><br>I probably won't make it anywhere anyway.  But Southern Maine is more do-able.<br>John

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 08:23:44 PM »
The place was Cape Neddik. A good spot between York Beach and Wells. It was a pretty good place. Not far into Maine at all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.