For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: List your favorite camp spot/Attraction in Maine  (Read 13555 times)

kayakjr

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Moosehead / Jo-Mary Lakes
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »
I heading up this way in August - any suggestions on what to see and do in this area appreciated,  Bringing the sea kayak and perhaps canoe.

Any great dirt roads trek - suitable for 2WD appreciated.  That would be a 2WD Vanagon, not a go-any-where bay or splittie.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by kayakjr »

The Blue Max

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
Hi,

If you are heading up off the coast, a great place we stayed last summer was Lily Bay State Park, in Greenville- at the southern part of Moosehead Lake.  We have sit on top kayaks, and it was absolutely spectacular kayaking there.  

Hope you can see the attached pics....

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by The Blue Max »

kayakjr

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Moosehead / Jo-Mary Lakes
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 08:26:34 PM »
I  have reservations for Lily Bay already, along with several other families.  Then we move to Jo-Mary Lake.  Think I'll get a fresh water license for the first time since I was a kid, as I live near the ocean.

We plan to hike Gulf Hagas, do some paddling, perhaps take the tourist boat out to the base of the high point on the lake - forget name right now.

From Jo-Mark lake we make a day trip to Baxter state park - have not been there in years as well.

I can't see the pictures - send me a personal message please and I'll give you my e-mail address. - I'd love to see them.  Or post to the photo section

Any suggestions welcome.  

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by kayakjr »

The Blue Max

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
pic link
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 09:32:40 PM »
Here is the link to the pics- they are on yahoo photos.  The first two are at Acadia park.  The next at Lily Bay, State Park and the last 6 at Rangely Lake St. Park

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=ara ... 74&.src=ph

Enjoy your trip.

Andrea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by The Blue Max »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
Moosehead Lake
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »
We just camped at Lily Bay at Moosehead Lake and enjoyed it.  The area is remote, the town does not offer much, so this might not be the place for everyone.  However, the paddling on the lake when the weather cooperated was great.  Weather does change rapidly there!

The toilets are (sometimes real smelly) pit toilets, but real showers (and toilets) are a 1 mile drive away within the park.  There is also a boat ramp, complete with docks that you can leave a boat at.   There is also a beach.

This state park is 10-15 miles North of Greenville on the South East side of Moosehead Lake.   Greenville did have two great places to eat - the Stress Free Moose Pub.  We took over the upstairs on one rainy day, which was like having our own cottage.  The other Flatlander's, had great "broasted" chicken.  They steam it and then quickly deep fat fry it, it was great.  The appertizers and soup was also great - highly recommended.

The Indian Hill trading post is a great palce for supplies and groceries.  Plenty of fishing, hunting and outdoor gear, at pretty resonable prices.  Propane cyliders werre cheaper there than at home oor at L.L. Bean.  Soy Milk was cheaper there than at the large supermarkets at home.

I would not hesitate to pick up all my food there prior to going to the park.   Bear bait is also available!  

The B-52 crash site between Greenville and Lily Bay is 7.5 miles up a dirt logging road, then a short hike.  the crash pieces were left there from a crash in 1965.  Somber perhaps, but interesting.  2 of the 7 crew, survived.  These were the pilot and, I believe, navigator.  They ejected from the plane, one was the only person to survive an ejection whose parachute did not work.  After a night in the woods, -30 below and 5+ ft of snow, they were rescued.

There are plenty of moose, if you continue North on Lily Bay road past the camp site.  

Happy trails,

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

CBussin86

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Hermit Island
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 11:24:12 AM »
I find the natural beauty of Hermit Island near Bath is excellent. Been there numerous times and many sites are private and well suited to the van. We try to get the sites along the water which are beautiful. Can see a great sunset from there. But they are hard to get in Summer. Going off season in Sept is excellent. Not that hot and can pick and choose your sites. No reservations.

Also hot(well warm ) showers and flush toilets available and a store. And 4 beaches, hiking trails ect. Its great! Anyone been there..I heard that BbB was held there...? Just throwing this out there...

Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by CBussin86 »
84 Westy (the Happy Bus)
86 Syncro
86 Westy (currently under construction)
85 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender (Muffin)
85 Westy (we call him "parts")

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.