For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: engine splash shield for a vanagon?  (Read 9636 times)

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
engine splash shield for a vanagon?
« on: February 25, 2007, 11:57:39 AM »
Hi everyone.  Over the last couple of months I have been working on my vanagon rebuilding the engine and other things that have needed to be fixed.  Now that the weather is getting better I have been driving the van more and have noticed that when it rains that it runs rough.  Being that I have spent almost all my money on the engine I don't have at this time money to fix the electrical system. I wanted to know if anyone has ever made a splash guard, shield, whatever you want to call it to keep rain out of the engine compartment.  thanks for any help

john
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vanagonjohn »
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:10:16 PM »
You probably only need new wires and/or a distributor cap.  

I'd try these.  If they don't solve the problem, they are good as spares anyway.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
You know the kick in the pants is that i already changed the wires and cap.  I thought that the wires were the problems and changed them out so having the spares are nice.  I'm thinking that the splash guard will help keep water off the wires.
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
Hmmm... I belive the wires most exposed to the rain splash are those connecting to the oxygen sensor.  Take a look at the O2 sensor and see if the connection looks sound.

there maybe a connector farther up this wire that may be a source of the problem.

Just a couple of ideas.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 04:29:23 PM »
Before I replaced the exhaust this was one of the problems.  So when I went through my check list of things to replace and with the new exhaust went in a new o2.  I thought for sure that this was going to fix the problem.  I sprayed the entire wire and just about everything else with silcone spray.  Well its still missing/stalling.  

The missing/stalling was not my only problem I was having.  I went through and fixed...

-heads

-exhaust

-o2

-clutch w/ master cilinder

-fuel system tank, lines, pump, filter, relay

-wires, cap, plugs

-cleaned grounds

-battery

So this is some of what has been done the last couple of months

ps I drive an 85 westy weekender
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 08:24:30 PM »
You should check the connection at the O2 sensor.  The green wire is a coaxial wire. Meaning there is a wire inside the wire.  

The inner wire sends the signal to the ECU and the outer wire is a grounding shield.  The inner wire fatigues and exposes the wire to the outer wire. Then they short out causing a rich and ruff running engine.

Yours may not be bad enough to cause a short all the time, but the water may exaserbate the problem.  

My suggestion,  strip back both wires  the outer farther back than the inner. Then put on a new end on the inner.  Then see how it runs.   Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:25:28 PM »
First I want to thank all of you for checking this out and helping.  After a couple of wet days I started the van up and again with the stalling/missing.  I looked the o2 over and over.  The next step for me was pushing that van over a clif (I'm only part way serious).  I again talked to one of my friends that work on late model VW's and he said to bring it down to the shop and he would go over it.  I love this van and could not live without it.  As soon as I find out whats up I'll let you all know.

thanks

john
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »
Something popped into my head. I heard someone once had a simlar problem and it turned out to be the wires that run to the distributor from the control unit.  Check for frayed and poorly grounded wires there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

vanagons

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
engine splash shield for a vanagon?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »
John,

I've read the messages about your splash guard question.

VW installed a splash guard on the O2 sensor at the factory, but 20 years later, they've rusted off, or been removed. Let me know if you want a Bentley photo of it.

The O2 sensor has a tiny "breather" hole in the side, which helps it do its job when it's not wet and blocked.

This is why a lot of people end up replacing the sensor.

You can make one out of a tin can, and although some folks weld it in place around the sensor, you could use a clamp to try it out for your problem.

Good Hunting!

Doug in CT
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vanagons »

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
Doug,

If you could post or send me a picture that would be great.  I have been putting off getting a bentley because every time I buy one the car gets totaled.  If you can belive me I have had a vanagon,and mk2 and a mk3 golf get crushed soon after buying a manual.  It seems like God's big joke on me.  Buy a manual=crash.  

thanks

john
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

vanagons

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
O2 splash guard
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
John,

Not used to this forum yet, but I attached a photo of the splash guard from ETKA.

Hope it helps,

Doug in CT

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vanagons »

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
I'll try to make this short for everyone (computer problems).  I made a splash gaurd and a sad looking cover for the O2.  Still the same problems.  The new symptom the van has is black exhaust.  New O2?  I hate to think that the O2 I just got has been the problem all along.  I know, I know you guys have been saying this from the start.  I'm going to get a new one and see what happens.  

I saw that in another forum that someone(sorry I don't remember his name) was having low gas miliage.  People replyed that black exhaust was probally from a bad O2 and causing him problems.  I don't think that I'm having any problems with miliage being that I have not had a chance to drive more then a couple of miles.  The black exhaust is new to me.

Thanks

john
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 09:18:35 PM »
Egg on my face.  The new O2 solved my problems.  Who would have thought that I would have been sold a bogus 02.  I also got my Bentley manuel (that's one big book).  I was looking around to see if I could find the picture of the cover for the O2 and had no luck.  I just want to thank all of you for helping.

thanks

john
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
It's doing it again.  If you would be so nice you can check me out in the tech forum
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.