For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Meat Cove, Nova Scotia  (Read 7931 times)

MrLiMBO

Meat Cove, Nova Scotia
« on: August 18, 2003, 07:53:38 AM »
By far the best location I have camped at in the east.  This campground is at the eastern tip of Nova Scotia, out past the park.  There are approx 20 spaces on a terraced cliff side.  We went in August and were greeted each morning by pilot whales chasing the baitfish south and each evening we watched them head north again.  All from the comfort of our Westy.  It's 5km from anywhere (except the town of Meat Cove which has 63 residents).  Fantastic setting and the campground is on property owned by the same family for 7 generations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Meat Cove, Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 10:02:41 AM »
Grant,<br><br>Yea meat cove is awesome. My wife and I camped there before we had kids back in the early 90's with our '71 Westy. I'd be worried about camping with kids, especially little toddlers, with the unobstructed cliff drop off though.<br><br>-Stanagon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 11:56:58 PM »
I know it's been a long time since the last reply to this post, but I could not agree more that Meat Cove is the most amazing place that I have ever camped.<br> I was there a few years ago on a 2 week tour of Cape Breton in my Syncro Westy, with my wife & Doberman.<br> Meat Cove has some excellent hiking and 4 wheeling trails right off the campground. Just wish I had my GPS back then, as all the maps we could round up were vague at best. We spent hours driving around having to climb up on the roof looking for a good route to the island's most northern point.... which we never found. <br>I took detailed notes and photos, as we were planning to write an article on 4 wheeling in Cape Breton for a magazine. After experiencing the pristine beauty of the island, and experiencing the most amazing hospitality of the folks up there. We were afraid to do anything that might spoil it, and just shelved the article. <br>If you live in the North East and have a week or so to spare, put Cape Breton, and specificly Meat Cove on your camping to do list. <br><br>Jim, Garrison, NY<br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 11:38:11 AM »
I also couldn't help replying, even though it's been a while since the original post. We first camped at Meat Cove in 2001 for three nights. We liked it so much we went back in 2003 and spent 10 days there. The hiking and kayaking is awesome. I went with my wife, three children and our dog in our 99 Westy (sorry not a late model). When were there in '01 our youngest child was 3 years old and our oldest was 7. I agree the cliffs are a little scary, but I wouldn't give up the joy our kids had in Meat Cove due to this risk factor. Part of the appeal for us was the adventure the kids could have scrambling on the cliffs and boulders aroung the beach. We liked Meat Cove so much that when I noticed an  online ad for a two acre lot in Meat Cove (next to the B&B) that was for sale last summer I bought it. I live about 1600 miles from Meat Cove and have no idea when I'll be back ( I did the purchase entirely by fax and email) but now that I am a 'resident' we'll have to go back. I would recommend a visit to anyone, but also don't talk about Meat Cove too much, as the absence of people and stores is a big part of its appeal.<br><br>ps I wish I had a syncro Westy so I could have made it down to the camping spots closest to the creek and beach.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 04:44:35 PM »
Mind if I ask how much the 2 acres was?<br><br>I camped there several times in the early 90s while I was living and going to university at Dalhousie in Halifax. The best trip was when I rode up on my XL600R (a street legal dirt bike) and had some really great offroad riding back up the trails from the campground.<br><br>Oh yeah, another highlight was a nice soak in this hot-tub sized pool that formed in the area where the old man had done some zinc mining back in the 50s...<br><br>yours,<br>David<br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 03:17:18 AM »
Did anyone else hike out to the old lighthouse that seemed pretty much reachable only by foot/trail or water (ocean)? We hiked there from the campground and it was awesome.<br><br>I've got pix, but they aren't digital.<br><br>Mark, is your land near the campground?<br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:38:48 AM »
i loved nova scotia, but i must admit that meat cove was 0ne of the freakiest campgrounds that i ever stayed at.  its redeeming factor was that hardly anyone was aware of the place.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
Just got back from our tour of Nova Scotia including Meat Cove.  We traveled in our 85 Westy.  While there a second 85 Westy pulled up next to us in the exact same color !!  He knew my sister and brother in law back in Virginia.  Way too wierd.   An hour later a 3rd 1984 Westy 84 pulled up.  it was an incredible night around the camp fire with new friends in a fantastic place.  Cheers to Tim, Kathy and Jason if you are out there.  And Cheers also to the Westy Eurovan that also showed up.  4 poptops completley by ramdom chance at the top of the World.  What an incredible evening and incredilbel place!!  All this after being at Buses by the Buoy in Maine on our way up to Canada.  A perfect Westy roadtrip.  

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 01:56:12 PM »
Tom: It took me a while to remember that it was you who stopped by our campsite on that Saturday afternoon at Buses by the Buoy. We, and I hope others in LiMBO enjoyed reading your Blogspot about your travels out west last year and your recent post in the Forum about Meat Cove, NS. We hope that you'll have another post with pictures of your Nova Scotia trip and Buses by the Buoy. Don't forget, you can post pictures with your post in the Forum and also in the Photo Album.<br><br>Nevin Lescher<br><br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:12:26 PM »
Nevin,  It was good talking to you at Buses by the Buoy.   Here is a link to our blog of the Trip to Nova Scotia: <br>http://tomhutchcanadapicts.blogspot.com/   It was a perfect Westy Roadtrip.  Thanks to you and all the organizers of BBB.    We met nice folks there and visited Tudger and pat (who live  near the Bay of Fundy) on the way north.  I am still trying to get an email off to Tudger.  I lost is info.  Tudger, Are you out there?   I hope to be at next years Maine Event.  Thanks again.<br><br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 12:38:16 PM »
Nice website there Tom. Meat cove looks just like I remember it.<br><br>Did you do any hiking around there?<br><br>We trekked out to the location of an old lighthouse and settlement of some sort when we were there. It was just north of the campground (I think), probably about a 30-45 min. hike.<br><br>-Stan

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.