For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 15" steel wheels  (Read 4655 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
15" steel wheels
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »
I've been researching this in regards to a 2wd Vanagon, and it appears there is no bolt-on wheel with the right ET, or center hub dia, except So. African wheels, which are almost as expensive as alloys.<br><br>It seems like some M-benz wheels might be correct, but most use a 12mm bolt (as opposed to 14mm) and don't have the right conical seat configuration for the VW lug nuts/lug bolts.<br><br>Anybody have experience with these - suggestions? <br>John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: 15" steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »
When I acquired my '87 Vanagon Westfalia in 1991 it came equipped with two mounted snow tires. These snows were mounted on 14" Mercedes Rims that had been modified by the original owner to fit the rear Vanagon hub by drilling two .5625" holes in the locations shown in the photo below. These holes allow clearance for bolthead projections on the Vanagon rear hubs so the rim mounts flush to the hub. I only used them a couple of seasons in the early '90s with no trouble mounting or on the road. I have no idea from what model Mercedes the rims came from but there is a definite difference in design.<br>BTW: Is your '86 Vanagon equipped with 15" rims? I thought they were all 14".<br><br>

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: 15" steel wheels
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:10:40 PM »
Mine has 14" wheels, as all 2WD (to the best of my knowledge) had.  I'm planning to go to 15" x 6" with the next set of tires - which isn't for a while.  <br><br>Also kicking around the idea of an extra set of wider rear rims for bigger tires, now that I have my locking diff low range transaxle (yet to be installed).<br><br>Thanks for the pic and diagram, I appreciate it. <br><br>John

Gerhardt

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
15" steel wheels
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:41:38 PM »
Hey all.....   After chasing my tail for a year or so, I finally remembered a conversation regarding  Stockton Wheel, who makes custom wheels for just about anything that rolls.

They can cut out the center of the original 14" steel Vanagon wheels and re-weld them into one of thier 15" rims.  You pick the offset,  color, rim width (!) etc. etc.  

Nice thing about this is that you get to keep the original little "moon" style hubcaps, which do not fit on the majority of aftermarket steel wheels.  ( which kind-of misses the point as far as I'M concerned)  You send them the original wheels,  It'll cost you about

$120 for each wheel.  If you dont want to go through the shipping,  they can usually find donor wheels there.....  

Not cheap, but not too bad considering there's really no other options.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

gerry
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Gerhardt »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »
For $120 a wheel it seems you could get the real thing, used, shipped from South Africa.  

I too like the small hubcaps, but I would want my 15" wheel to accept larger brakes.  

I've seen clips that hold hubcaps on, I think on Rabbits or Dashers?

Maybe you could still get these from the dealer?

If I could find these in Germany, I could give my nephews and nieces to carry one each when they visit from Germany.

John

Riding on 14" till the tires wear out!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.