For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: HELP - 1971 Camper  (Read 3928 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
HELP - 1971 Camper
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:11:01 AM »
HELP - 1971 Camper<br>New engine, new carb., fresh gas, gas tank cleaned and reinstalled, new line from tank to carb, new gas filter, new gas pump.  Will start with Ether, runs for about 3 minutes then stalls.  Will not re-start without another shot of Ether?  Please be gentle, as I am not a mechanic - I know just enough to get me in trouble.....any ideas (aside from getting a real mechanic, as this project has now become a matter of principle and I will NOT quit!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
Re: HELP - 1971 Camper
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:15:43 AM »
Good for you.. don't quit!<br><br>I don't know much about 71's, but spark plugs can tell a big story. After you run it for a while, pull a spark plug or two. Smell it. Do you have a strong smell of gas, or almost no smell at all? Are they wet or dry looking? Gassy smell means your getting fuel in the cylinders. Dry means you are not. <br>I'm betting that you are not getting fuel, or it is restricted. An engine can run for a little while on just Ether you spray in. <br><br>P.S. I recently re-learned a major spark plug lesson when troubleshooting an engine. Comparing the look and smell of two spark plugs I could tell on cylinder was firing and other wasn't.<br>Good Luck
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:15:44 PM »
Are you useing an aftermarket distributor cap? Go OEM if so. I know it's stupid but I had a cheeply made aftermarket cap, I tore the engine apart before finding out it was cracking apart and missing fires.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:10:53 AM »
ok ,here we go- there are 3 things for a engine to run air ,fuel , spark- with that in mind you can always solve any no running engine problem <br><br>you said that it will run on ether-that will tell us that is not a spark issue,also that it runs tells us that it is not a air problem<br>know that rules out 2 of the three so it has to be fuel related<br><br>1-do you see gas in the fuel filter? (only if you have the stock style filter that goes between the pump and carb)<br><br>2 if you look in the the carb and play with the throtle do you see any gas squrting out of the acclerator pump( side tube )<br><br>3 if you have no gas at any of these areas it most likly be the fuel pump<br><br>4 for the fuel pump check there is a ez way to check ,most of the time the diaphram in the pump rips and pumps gas ion the engine case.now check the oil level -a bit high - also smell the oil smells like gas- strong<br><br>if there is no high level or strong oder than we need to check the output of the pump<br><br>5 remove the fuel line going up to the carb and run a line from the pump to a can or metal container that you can see.have someone turnover the engine see how much gas comes out if any <br><br>just noticed that you installed a new pump did you recheck the hose connection to see if if the lines are on the correct possition? <br>

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.