For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Westfalia Engine Replacement suggestions  (Read 2823 times)

TallPaul

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Westfalia Engine Replacement suggestions
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
So it looks like I might need a new engine for an '85 1.9l Wesftalia, and am wondering what recommendations (~ 2/2019) people have for sources to peruse out on the web.    Engine overheated due to a broken coolant belt and the head gaskets are leaking and preliminary investigation is a long slow death without replacement.  I've poked around on the web but am open to all sources and don't see any other posts in here on the site.  Did I miss 'em?

If anybody's done the Subaru upgrade recently & willing to put in some insights into that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Tall Paul
Burlington, VT
1984 Westfalia - Diesel  - Straight Vegetable Oil conversion
1985 Westfalia - Gas

campinator

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Re: Westfalia Engine Replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »
You have many engine options, all depends on the $$$ you're willing to spend and how handy you are.  If you decide to go the least expensive path and rebuild your 1.9, you might want to upgrade to the 2.1 cooling system.  Other than that, GoWesty has a full line of rebuilt engines (pricey!).  Stay away from the infamous and well known  budget rebuilds (you get what you pay for).  As for shops, the only place I know and trust is on Long Island, NY, probably too far for you.  I'm sure there is someone in your area with the expertise and tools needed to fix Vanagons.  Stanagon here on the board might know someone up there... Good Luck!     
'82 Westy, aircooled, 170k
'85 GL, 2.1, 135k
'85 GL, 220k
'88 Wolfsburg, 65k

Wanda

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Westfalia Engine Replacement suggestions
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
I am not trying to sell this but it is what i went for. http://www.bostig.com/ I am handy so I went with the ford conversion from Bostig. $$$ They have a manual to do the instillation and they are great for any support questions. I put 45,000 trouble free miles on. Or rebuild yours $

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.