For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 1985 westie  (Read 4093 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
1985 westie
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »
I have a problem with my fuel injection at idle. I have replaced just about everything the parts people will sell me. 1985 1.9 watercooled. after it warms up it goes into this pulsating revs. push the pedal a little and it revs up great. The engine runs great when your rolling. It will idle good and then start pulsating again. you can push the pedal down just a little and it will try to cut out but not stall. What is going on?<br>I would really appreciate any suggestions.<br>Thank you,<br>Don Brion
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 westie
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
it sounds like the the o2 sensor or the air flow meter . disconnect the o2 sensor first ,drive for a bit and see if she still does it.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
Thank you for your imput on my delema. I disconnected the o2 sensor which is a new one.  The problem stopped during my idling. Now I have created a new one in when the engine gets warm it flood out because I think the computer think the engine is still cold and dumps in to much fuel. <br>Do you think it is the mass air flow sensor?<br>Again i thank you for your help,<br>Don

Red Baron

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »
Lets start with your idle issue.  Was it reving up and then cuts out?  As the engine slows down it picks up again?  Does this sound about right?  <br><br>My thoughts.  The engine is trying to idle too fast and the idle cut switch (mounted on the thottle body) kicks in and cuts the fuel, the engine cuts out and then as it goes below the preset idle limit switch, the fuel comes back and its starts to idle again.   The process continues - up down up down.   <br><br>How to fix it.   Check all the vacuume lines for a leak.  Replace all the small ones just to be safe.  Retorqe the intake bolts at the heads too.   If the idle smooths out, your done.  If not, then you will need to adjust the idle speed.  You'll need to disconnect one of the two wires that go to the top switch in the throttle body.  The engine should idle fast and not surge up and down.  If so, then grab a screw driver and turn the screw on the throttle body until the engine idle is about 850-950 RPMs.  Plug the wire back in and it should be fine.  <br><br>Now, the rich running condition.  (you may have to fix this first before the idle issue)   You mentioned that it started to run rich after you replaced the O2 sensor correct?  When the engine starts to run poorly and you shut off the engine and restart, does it run good for a few minutes?   <br><br>My thoughts...   The heavy green wire on the engine wiring harness that goes to the O2 sensor is a co-axial wire.  Meaning it has a wire inside a wire.  Chances are the inner wire, which the O2 sensor is connected to, is shorting out against the outer wire, which is basically a shield/ ground wire.   The inner wire insulation cracks exposeing the inner wire and the outer wire contacts it and shorts the circuit.   The computer thinks it running too lean and richens the mixture too much and floods the engine.    <br>The fix:  Strip back the outer wire exposing fresh inner wire and put a new connector on the inner wire.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:35:35 PM »
:)Again I would like to thank you for your support in my mission to fix my van. I will keep you posted on my results.<br>Don

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.