For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Vanagon Front Seat Belts  (Read 3912 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Vanagon Front Seat Belts
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:02:20 AM »
This is a question about replacing the Front 3-point Retracting Seat Belts in late model Vanagons and Westfalia Campers. In section 68 of the Bentley Manual there are examples of webbing defects that indicate that the belts should be replaced but no information on how to replace the webbing.<br><br>To replace the belts it looks like there are two options:<br>1) Replace the entire belt assembly including the retractor and anchors. GoWesty shows these in their catalog on page 71 for around 100 bucks each. Color options are not specified. <br>2) Retain the original retractors and anchors provided they are in working order and replace only the webbing.<br><br>The later might not be as cost effective as it looks. It would take some 3.5 plus yards of webbing to do one belt plus the ends at the floor anchor and spool in the retractor must be securely sewn around the fittings. Webbing can be purchased in a variety of colors at around $10.00/yard. The 7 yards to do 2 belts would come in at approximately $65.00. That's way less than half the cost of 2 new assemblies, but you still are faced with the adequate sewing of the ends and getting the retactor end into the spool and secured without loosing the spring tension on the retactor.<br><br>So, if anyone has taken on this type of project, I would appreciate any input on which way to proceed.<br><br>Nevin Lescher
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Red Baron

Re: Vanagon Front Seat Belts
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »
Nevin,<br>I think in this sue happy, nobody wants to be responsible world we live in, replacing the webbing is not recommended.  I know its not at VW.  If so, they would offer the webbing as a spare part.  <br><br> Unless the person you have sew the new webbing, is somehow certified to do that kind of work, it might be worth the peace of mind to get the new complete seat belts.   <br><br>Like Air Bags, you won't know if they work until you have a crash.  And we all hope no one ever crashes in their bus.  <br><br>My recommendation, get the new belts complete.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.