For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: splash shield con't 85 weekender  (Read 4423 times)

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
splash shield con't 85 weekender
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
Hey everyone.  I just wanted to get any input about would could be causing me problems with my van.  This post is taking off from what you might have seen in the mod's forum about making cover for my 02 and other wires.

Lets just act like I have all the money to do what I want to do to my vanagon.  This past winter I went through and fixed a ton of stuff and was hoping to get out and travel this summer.  Well it's early spring and when I thought I had everything fixed my 02 went bad.  I took the old one back and put in a new one and what do you know...problem solved.  Kind of.  

I have put almost three thousand miles on my van with the working 02 and the other day it started to rain and what do you know it started with the stalling and missing.  One of the new problems I have noticed is that when I'm in third gear going between 35-40mph it's almost like a loss in power.  It does not die but just not the pick up that was there.  Are these problems connected?  I don't know.  If you can think of anything please help.

John

ps What no spell check.  I'm a child of the computer   I don't know how to spell
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 02:07:15 AM by vanagonjohn »
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:27:43 PM »
I used to have a problem with my 84 vanagon.  If I was cruising about 50 MPH, It would sputter and run generally poor.  Get past that speed or dropped below it, I wouldn't have a problem.  Replaced the Air Flow Meter and it was solved. I think the contacts in the AFM were burned from constant driving.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:08:09 PM »
John, I would give the ignition system a real careful check. Wet weather related skipping and misfire symptoms can be an indicator of a High voltage leak causing a weak or intermittent  spark. If the coil tower (where the high voltage cable goes) is dirty, or has a small crack, the high voltage (HV) can find a sneak path to ground. The same holds true with the inside and outside of the distributor cap. If you have a HV leak, meaning it arcs to ground, you can sometimes hear it as a snapping noise. The wires themselves can loose their insulating value and leak HV. Looking at the motor while running in total darkness can sometimes allow you to see the arcing. If the wires are grungy, this can cause arcing especially where they plug in around to the cap or coil. When arcing persists, an arc track can burn into the coil or distributor cap. If the wires, rotor, and cap are old, this would be a fine time to replace them including plugs if they are in need. The coil tower should be cleaned with WD-40, and given a real careful look for a tiny crack or carbon track. If this does not fix it, you have eliminated a common cause, and can move on. I hope this helps.

Guy K.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »
Is there still a sticker on the coil?  I remember hearing something about a string a bad coils with green stickers on them.  

Anyone else remember issue better than I.  Chime in please.

I think we covered this before, but check all the grounds, especially the juction at the head.   WHile its rare, the ignition control modul could be faulty too. (its mounted next to the coil on the heat sink).   Things to think about.  Poor running when its wet says ignition related to me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

vanagonjohn

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
Well after sitting in the dark looking for sparks or any strange lights coming from my van I'm about ready to give up.  The one thing that I did see was an old green sticker on the coil.  I did some calling around.  Bus Depot had no idea what I was talking about and Gowesty never called back.  I am however ready to replace the coil, cap, wires, in hopes that one of thoes things or all of them together might fix my problems.  It looks like I'm not going to make it to EB but with any luck I'll be at Granny's.  

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vanagonjohn »
1985 westy weekender
1991 Jetta GLI 16v

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.