For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Poptop canvas  (Read 8035 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Poptop canvas
« on: May 30, 2006, 02:43:30 PM »
We recently purchased a 3-window poptop canvas for our 1984 Westy and it doesn't fit.<br><br>Our original canvas measures 43 inches top to bottom at the center of the front. The replacement canvas measures almost 48 inches vertically in the same place.<br><br>Our original canvas measured 12 inches vertically at the center of the back canvas. The replacement measures 16.5 inches vertically in the same place. I don't know about the sides because after measuring the front and the back it seemed pointless to go on.<br><br>What I'm wondering is whether the replacement is correctly sized or if our original might have been off. Anyone?<br> ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Poptop canvas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:09:21 PM »
It might depend on who the supplier was that you got your replacement canvas from. There is a detailed story in the recent issue of the LiMBO Transporter on installation of replacement  canvas on both pre '85 and post '85 Westfalias. Both of the replacement canvases for this story came from Go Westy but were made for them by another manufacturer.<br>We have heard of messups by other suppliers sending the wrong canvas, so our recommendation is to check back with your supplier. There is very little difference between the pre '85 and post '85 Vanagon Westfalia canvases, notably the method by which the canvas is attached to the fiberglass top. The Go Westy canvases we did on these two Westfalia fit perfect. That extra material sounds funny. Your canvas should have a welt around the bottom and no welt at the top.

cc6344454

• Administrator
  • BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 11:13:12 AM »
In the future the website will have a page dedicated to a canvas change. For now, here are 2 links that may help.<br>http://http://www.limbobus.org/sketch.htm<br>http://http://www.limbobus.org/poptop.htm<br><br>Feel free to ask questions here. We recently did a canvaas change and it is fresh in our minds. <br><br>P.S. There are also more photos in the photo album under "Bryan" album.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cc6344454 »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »
Here's the latest:<br><br>Our '84 has the roof with the aluminum rails instead of the tack strip. Therefore, we sent the canvas back and got one with the "piping" on the top of the canvas as the one we took off had. Height-wise, it exactly matched the one we took off: 43 inches high in the front, 12 inches in the back.<br><br>BUT, it was 4-5 inches short in circumference. Frustrating.<br><br>So we've now had one that is the right distance around (the '84 model meant for the tack strip) and one that is the right height (the model meant to be attached via the screws and the rails). We are giving up hope of finding one that fits height and circumference.<br><br>We are now leaving on our trip across country June 24 and don't have ANY canvas. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put the old one back on, mouse-eaten corners notwithstanding. Too bad because we really wanted those side windows for ventilation in the Southwest. Ugh.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:41:26 PM »
Thanks to those who sent along suggestions.<br><br>The canvas has now been replaced. After having no luck with the first three canvases, we ordered from a different dealer after learning that the canvas they sell was within two inches of the circumference we needed and listed at the height we needed.<br><br>As it turns out, the two inches too small made installation really, really difficult on the bottom but it's on and no going anywhere. ;). Interestingly, the canvas was a tad too tall and so it's nowhere near as taught as the one we removed. But it is absolutely fine and the side windows are a major, major plus.<br><br>Three things of note:<br>1. I pulled and replaced the canvas without any help and without removing the top. Honestly, reattaching the canvas to the top while it was still in place was absolutely no trouble. I just had to measure, measure and measure again to make sure I attached the absolute middle of the sides and the front and the back first. (Interestingly, there was no screw hole at the midway point on the side, so I had to take that into account.)<br><br>2. Doing the corners of the bottom was an absolute bear, in no small part because the bottom was tighter than tight. What made it unbelievably tricky is that the holes in the Vanagon in which the screws were supposed to go were tremendously hard to find after part of the rail was already in place. Sometimes I had to slide a loop of wire under the rail and guide the point of the screw toward the hole.<br><br>3. The smartest thing I did in the whole process was to go to Home Depot and buy a little horizontal ratchet screwdriver. The "bit" was about 3/4 of an inch long (maybe an inch) and then it fit into a horizontal ratchet. Using a pair of pliars to hold the "bit" down, I was able to crank the ratch and tighten screws that I never could have gotten an upright screwdriver in position for. A fabulous help.<br><br>Thanks again to those who emailed offlist with suggestions. It's a bit of a daunting project and probably took me the full eight hours, but it's done and a big improvement.<br><br>Now off on vacation ...

aviles

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »
thanks for those links on pop top replacement I was a limbo member in the early 90s and have yanked my 91wetfalia out of the barn and attempting a restoration on a 79k one owner..this really helps & its so good to be home  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by aviles »

CBussin86

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Poptop canvas replacement
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:50:32 AM »
Hi there, Just thought I would through my 2 cents in. We just replaced a canvas on one of our vans( the 86 westy). The orginal canvas was in good shape but very dirty. We put in in the washing machine after removing it. Cold water, gentle cycle in a front loader and it came out pretty good. (see pics in profile). Line drying and need to reapply canvas waterproofing. Still some marks from where the PO had left the canvas hanging out of the poptop after closing it but outside of that and a hole in the screen which was there before it came out fine.
Taking off the poptop proved to be a difficult task. tAkes 2 or 3 people. And reinstalling it and lining it up so it closes freely took some time. I agree replacing the canvas with the poptop on is much easier. Even with the original.  But with some precise measure ments as stated before in this thread and tools it was not a bad project once the poptop was back on. We had to take the poptop off due to huge amount of mold inside and on top. Just proved to be easier to clean it when it was off with some bleach solution and a good pressure washer.
 But thanks for the info regarding replacement canvases...Go westy seems to be the way to go with that..we will probably need a new one.
Anyone try the Bus Depots canvases? I heard they were good also.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by CBussin86 »
84 Westy (the Happy Bus)
86 Syncro
86 Westy (currently under construction)
85 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender (Muffin)
85 Westy (we call him "parts")

aviles

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »
i installed a bus depot wetfalia canvas three window on mybus and it fit fine, took a hell of along time to do one pizza and six pack later no probs, the canvas was about 150.00 less than the gowesty...and the pop top seals & luggage rack seals was quite a savings too> when i questioned bus depot on the diff in pricing Rick told me they order them direct and have a warehouse full of them vs the competition that orders one at a time...i dunno but mine came out great...PS...Couldt have done it w/o the link from here, thanks so much :lol:  :D  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by aviles »

CBussin86

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
3 window canvas
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »
I always wonder about the 3 window aftermarket not fitting like the orginal. We just got lucky with ours so far as the originals were just dirty needed a good cleaning but not ripped. CAnvas faded a bit when was washed but otherwise its fine. Maybe it was faded a bit before I dont know.
But thanks, its good to know you had good luck with the 3 window replacement. We were looking at the Genuine German made (I think thats what Bus Depot calls it)for 399.00 to make sure it fits correctly and not too tight like most replacement 3 window canvases I have seen.

And I found it took at least 1 6 pack maybe 2 to put the canvas back on...your right about that...

hehe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by CBussin86 »
84 Westy (the Happy Bus)
86 Syncro
86 Westy (currently under construction)
85 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender (Muffin)
85 Westy (we call him "parts")

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.