For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Fire Extinguishers  (Read 2771 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Fire Extinguishers
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:38:19 AM »
<br>If you want your bus or Westfalia to look like this, you just might want to check your fire extinguisher (if you have one) now that the summer  travel and camping season has arrived. I did and found that my '87 Westy was still carrying the original dry chemical extinguisher dated 1986.<br><br>I took this extinguisher and two others to a local fire extinguisher service center to have them checked and certified. Guess what----all were junk and un-certifiable!<br>The technician recommended two new 2.5 lb bottles that are certified for 1 year. These are charged with ammonium phosphate and under 585 psi inert gas pressure. They carry the designation ABC which means that the extinguisher can be used on "A"- Ordinary Combustables, "B"- Flammable Liquids and "C"- electrical<br><br>Their cost was only $28.00 each, comes with a mounting bracket and DOT certificate #535. It mounts neatly where the original one was, next to right side door pillar post. I think it was money well spent. You can find Extinguisher Sales and Service Centers in the Yellow Pages.<br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Extinguishers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:28:26 PM »
Nevin,<br><br>I've been meaning check my extinguisher forever. Your picture kind of drives home how important they can be. Cheap insurance for $ 28 . Hope to see you in VT  this year.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Extinguishers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »
there is ane small problem with tthe abc exting.is that if you use it it has to becleanes right after the fire due to the chemicals from the exting.will damage most electical connections.let alone mess up the sensors BUT there is a replacement of the old halon.helotron is the new breathable fire exting.the sqame old halon with out the ozone damage.

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.