For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Cylinders stuck to heads  (Read 2365 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Cylinders stuck to heads
« on: April 13, 2006, 08:11:22 PM »
I know that you guys can help me out with this.  After months of deliberating (mostly waiting for it to get warmer out), I decided to investigate my broken vanagon situation.  I spent all day today taking my engine apart.  My heads are ready to come off, but the cylinders are being stubborn as hell.  There's one cylinder on each side that will not detach itself from the head.  I've read Bob's article which mentions tapping the heads with a mallet, we've tried that and it has not worked.  I was wondering if there was another way to get the cylinders unstuck.<br>Also, on average, how much do you reckon it would cost to get my heads checked out for warpage at a machine shop?<br>Thanks in advance,<br>Dusty
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinders stuck to heads
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »
Dusty,<br><br>Is this a water-cooled or air-cooled Vanagon?<br><br>Boston Bob might have more suggestions. Try calling him, and tell him Stanagon sent you, it can't hurt.<br><br>-Stan Wohlfarth

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinders stuck to heads
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:44:57 PM »
I sent him an email yesterday.  I'm not sure how often he checks that or responds to technical questions.  It's watercooled.  I would have thought that someone here might have encountered the same problem.  Just today I thought of maybe blowing a hairdrier on the head itself to heat that up without heating the cylinder.  Maybe that would work.  I suppose it's worth a try anyways.<br>Anybody got anything else?<br>Thanks,<br>Dusty

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.