For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Reupholstering vanagon seats  (Read 3842 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Reupholstering vanagon seats
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:12:51 PM »
Does anyone out there have experience with either replacing or re-upholstering seats in a Vanagon? I've located a pair of ratty-looking but mechanically sound seats at a junk yard. My plan is to buy the pair and have them reupholstered or possibly do some of the reupholstering myself. Before I start down this path, I'd like to hear the the trials and sufferings of someone else who has made the decision to replace the seats in a Westy; surely, I'm not the first person to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. - Shannon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Reupholstering vanagon seats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Shannon,<br><br>I re-upholstered the front seats of my '81 Westy several years back. I had Sewfine in Colorado make the seat and armrest covers and installed them myself. I used seats from an '84-ish van that had longer seat bottoms (more comfy on the legs) than the ones in my '81 and the simple one-position armrests. Sewfine should have patterns on-hand to stitch up new seat covers. I also bought enough matching material from them to have a local upholstery shop do my rear seat and pad.<br><br>Doing the seat covers was not too difficult. Having a pair of "hogring" pliers will help. Most upholstery supply places can sell you a set.<br>Having a Bentley manual will help too, especially if you are using the later model adjustable armrests. They can be tricky to get off and willt be more difficult to upholster too.<br><br>Also, keep in mind that any Vanagon seat should slide right into any Vanagon. You might be better off just finding a nice set of seats that you can just "bolt in".<br><br>Hope this helps,<br><br>-Stan

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Reupholstering vanagon seats
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »
Stanagon - Thanks for the info on your seat installation. I'll keep looking for a good pair of seats but I don't expect to find any so I'll probably be going the upholstery route. I'll check out the company you mentioned.  - Shannon

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.