For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Kickdown problems  (Read 2084 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Kickdown problems
« on: October 11, 2005, 10:03:10 PM »
Hello All,<br><br>I recently bought a 1986 Westy automatic and I'm having trouble with the kickdown.  Here are the symptons:  It shifts to 2nd fine, but it'll stay in 2nd until you let off the gas pedal.  It shifts into 3rd, but almost everytime, as soon as you step back on the gas, it kicks down.  Sometimes it stays in 3rd for  several miles.  It doesn't feel like there's any slippage, it just kicks down.<br><br>The PO had the trans rebuilt about 25K miles ago.  He also had the ATF and filter changed back in September.  There is also a new throttle cable installed.  The fluid does not smell burnt and the color is nice and red.<br><br>I think that it may be out of adjustment.  I've done the adjustment to at the throttle body as directed by Bently.  Bently says that at full throttle, the kickdown lever should not be in the kickdown position.  The trouble is that it's hard to tell by the picture where the kickdown position is.  Is it all the way forward?  Does it start at a certain position?  I've tried backing the accelerator cable out of the  pedal relay lever as much as possible, but it's still kicking down at 45mph+.<br><br>Is there any way to adjust the lever on the transmission or is the lever fitted to the trans with a key or slot to keep it in one place relative to the trans?<br><br>Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.