For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: PopTop Canvas Installation  (Read 2385 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
PopTop Canvas Installation
« on: September 16, 2005, 07:44:29 AM »
I am considering the replacement of the PopTop canvas on our '87 Westy, but before ordering the replacement I am trying to gather as much information on the best procedure to get the best results with the least effort and time.<br><br>I'm sure many out there have done this and would appreciate any or all information you can pass on.<br><br>There is a procedure outlined in Section 75.2 - 75.6 in the Bentley Official Factory Repair Manual which seems to indicate that the best results are obtained by removing the roof shell after cutting the old canvas away at the vans roof and then installing the new canvas with the Fiberglass roof shell upside down off the vehicle. There the instructions in section 75.6 get a bit vague as to how to get the roof with the canvas secured back on the van and the canvas fastened to the vans roof especially in the rear where the hinge is.<br><br>Another procedure outlined in an article in the March 1989 issue of Hot VW's seems to indicate that the roof shell does not have to be removed but the job can be done by unbolting the rear hinges from the body and supporting the rear of the shell with a box or other object, then remove the old canvas and install the new. Obviously, this method involves a lot of overhead work. I also assume that in either case the upper bed mattresses must be removed.<br><br>Any input, comments or other links on these procedures will be greatly appreciated.<br><br>Nevin Lescher
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: PopTop Canvas Installation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 05:01:59 AM »
neven <br>i just did mine on my 87 . best thing to do is to REMOVE the pop top . it will take a total of 9 hrs , the trick is finding ALL the center points . there are 4 for the top , and 4 for the bottom, mark the upper and lower rails ,you will need to cut the corner beadding a bit in the lower corners,take your time ,when doing the top start in the front .you will notice the upper beading is a string hvae the string on the outside of the screw so it stays ply able. again take your time it is a very hard to strech the canvas.so have a helper . also , the replacement only comes in a very dark gray , the  lite gray (oem color) is no longer aval. they are using the same canvas as the euro van pop top.once finished you will notice that the top needs more umff to pop it in place .you will also finished is the pivit area on the cross bar touching the canvas, a very little bulge visable on the out side . and the best thing to do is NOT to do the replacement on a NICE day . do it in a shop or something .i puntured mine due to sweat :( .3 times >:(.<br>BUT the flow from a 3 window is very nice.the ez way to do this is to have a pop top party like i did , it brings out more help that way ,also it helps when you start to loss your temper on the big pain in the rear of a replacement job. good luck <br><br>ps take your time.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: PopTop Canvas Installation
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 07:54:57 PM »
Replaced the canvas on my 85. did it myself and left the top on. I cut the old tent off, used my cordless drill to remove all the screws.From the inside I removed one side of the front support at a time to put the tent on the outside.(the hinge end the tent is on the inside)I matched up the front top corners first, then screwed the rest of the top on. did the same for the bottom. it only took me 4 1/4 hours ,turned out great. ;D   good luck with yours

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.