For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Oil Dripping Haze!  (Read 2989 times)

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Oil Dripping Haze!
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
Found that when my bus is hot, I get a faint hazey cloud that seems to follow me. I looked under the bus during one of it's "smoking episodes" today, and found that oil seems to be dripping down on the passenger side heat exchanger. Looks like its coming from the push rod tubes. Is this a big fix? What is involved in fixing it? I've known by the spots on my driveway that I leak oil so it's kind of 'nice' to now know where it is coming from, just want to figure out how best to address this issue.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by obnoxiousblue »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »
Push rod tube seals are easier to replace on the pancake motor than a upright beetle engine, but it will take some time.

Basically, the valve train will have to come off and then you remove the spring that holds the push rod tubes in place.  Then you pull out the tubes replace the orings and then reinstall.  

I like to pull the pushrods out and then stick them in a piece of cardboard to keep them in order so you can put them back in the same hole they came out of.  Reinstalling the hold down spring can be tricky too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.