For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Transmission Oil Leak Question  (Read 5179 times)

jdbs3

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Transmission Oil Leak Question
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
1990 Vanagon GL, ~140,000 miles.

My transmission is leaking oil around the axle flange and possibly other places. On inspection, my mechanic noted that the shift rod boots to the transmission and to the shift linkage also need replacement. I plan to have him use dye to locate the actual leak spot(s).

In preparation for this work, I read various threads on this and other sites. One thread noted “Before attempting to fix any transmission oil leaks MAKE SURE THE ATMOSPHERIC BLEED IS NOT PLUGGED.”  This is the same as the transmission breather.

This is the original transmission, and I do not believe the CV joints have ever been replaced or worked on. What I was thinking was having him clean out the atmospheric bleed, and then put dye in and see if it still leaks.

But is it likely that just cleaning the atmospheric bleed could resolve my transmission leaks?

And how often should the CV joints be repacked?  Should they be dis-assembled and cleaned entirely, or just repack with new grease?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by jdbs3 »

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
Trany leak
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
The trans has to breathe, if not it will find a place too breathe. The trans builds up pressure, allways check the stupid stuff first. The auto trans is a great trans from VW. later Rich
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »
The axle shaft seals are part of the diff, which is separate from the automatic part of the trans.. It has 80-90W gear oil in it.  Where the Automatic takes Dextron/Mercon.

CV joints are pretty maintenance free. I'm not sure when  VW recommends they be repacked.  They mainly need to be repacked when the boot gets torn.  Prolly not a bad idea to repack them if your taking them out.  You can get away with adding some grease if the grease is smooth and creamy.  If the grease is thick and dry then you'll probably need to take them apart and clean them and then repack.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.