For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: HELP!!! Oil drain plug problems  (Read 2267 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
HELP!!! Oil drain plug problems
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:12:44 PM »
Help!!!  i am going to Maine on thursday and decided to change the oil in my recently purchased westy.  unfortunately, when the drain plug came out it decided it was going to bring all the threads from the engine out with it.  Is there a quick solution to this problem (like a quick rethread and oversized plug kit?)<br>i am desperate (i have a regular van but would really much rather take the camper)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Oil drain plug problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 11:38:46 PM »
well, i have to embark on my trip.  drain plug is fixed.  tapped it to a 1/2" and put a plug in it.  judging by the lack of responses i guess no one else has had this problem.  well, there's the easy solution unless you want to do a heli coil.

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Oil drain plug problems
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:54 PM »
I've got a threaded insert in my '81 air-cooled Westy. It works fine if you install the insert when the case is good and dry and with some threadlock. Boston Bob in Wayland MA can set you up with what you need. He's at exit 13 off the MA turnpike, shop no. is 508-358-6264.<br><br>Sounds like it's OK for now, if it holds up.<br><br>I'll be at the Buoy in either my blue '81 Westy, or if it isn't running well enough, my white '65 panel.<br><br>-Stan Wohlfarth

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.