For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: diesel cooling  (Read 2571 times)

Edk

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
diesel cooling
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
i have a 82 vanagon diesel, and i'm having trouble getting a correct  cooling reading on the gauge. i have bled the radiator numerous times, but the gauge is never consistant. one day it's in the middle on the light, the next time it reads just above the second line. always after i shut off, there is gurgleing in the radiator.. this doesnt matter if i go on highway, or city. it will get above  the red light if i let it idle for any length of time. like i mentioned, i've bled many times, got alot of air out, filled the expantion tank, replaced the cooling resiviour cap.  kinda puzzled..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Edk »
1982 vanagon diesel

Bradleyvw

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
If it's like the gas engine, when you bleed the radiator, you have to jack (raise) the front of van about 6'' off the gound to get all the air out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bradleyvw »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »
Does the cooling fan run when the light comes on?  It should.  If not, double check the switch..

Usually after a couple of good runs, the air bleeds itself out of the system.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but...Those old 1.6L diesels were notorious for popping head gaskets.  Overheating might be the begining... the T-stat could be sticking..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.