For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Vanagon ignition problems  (Read 2470 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Vanagon ignition problems
« on: September 02, 2005, 09:14:31 AM »
Just got a 1988 Westfalia (264,000 km on it) but the engine won't start (no fire at the plugs). I got the vehicule from a garage specialized in VW repairs and they worked on the car for a few hours without being able to trace the problem. They changed plugs, wires, distributor, coil, computer and some connectors (to no avail) and then parked the West for 6 months (until last week) when I decided to acquire it (was quite cheap, due to engine starting problems !). <br>What else can I do ?!? <br>Can I run a wire directly from the battery to the coil so I can get it moving and bring it to my place ? Thank's. BM.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Vanagon ignition problems
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 03:12:43 AM »
Any luck checking out the recommendations we gave you on the Bentley forums?<br><br>Stan Wohlfarth

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 08:38:39 AM »
Well, I followed various leads and my logic to find out that the Digifant control unit is not getting power (pins 13 - 14 and 14 - 19, I believe) and no power coming from the relay. 12volt is getting to the relay but the relay is not clicking and it seems to be controlled itself by the Digifant control unit. I am therefore wondering if it is possible to fix such control unit, it other units (like from Golf or Jetta, since these kinds of cars are much easier to find around here !) would fit, etc. Any suggestions would be welcome !<br><br>Thank's. BMaranda. <br>PS: could it be possible to find somewhere on the web a circuit diagram of what is found inside a Digifant control unit ?

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 02:54:46 AM »
Make sure the ecu grounds are all good. I've heard of people running new grounds at the ecu to solve problems. I had to do this with my '87 Suncro Vanagon to solve an 02 sensor shield ground that wasn't working.<br><br>Boston Bob (www.bostonengine.com) has a selection of Vanagon ECUs in stock. You don't want to use a Golf/Jetta ECU as they are much different, I think.<br><br>I've never seen any ECU schematics, that doesn't mean they don't exist though.<br><br>-Stan

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.